Thread: A/C Unit

Seth Hughes Guest

Default A/C Unit

Hey guys,

I Havent posted in a while. Any comments, thoughts? on this unit would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for any remarks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: A/C Unit

No one else?

For starters, on a *quick* look:

No trap on primary
    Primary drain line (in picture from front) looks like it may have a positive pitch up to the tee
    Plugged secondary (no drain or switch)
    Drain line for condensate pump at least partially obstructed by algae
    Flex connector through cabinet (not OK in my area, even w/ bushing)
    Gas line (hard pipe) not properly supported/secured.
    Galvanized gas line/fittings OK in your area?
    Condensation or other water source corroding the receptacle outlet box, and who knows what else...
    Combustion air source/quantity?
    What's that the furnace is sitting on?
    Return air arrangement?

I'll leave the area above the furnace for someone else.

I'm sure there's more.

On the upside, looks like they at least wired the condensate pump to kill the furnace when it fails.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 08-30-2007 at 01:32 PM.

It is wrong in Oh, so many ways.
    Michael got a good start, add no insulation on condensate drain;
    no seperation between attic and return air since it looks like a closet mounted unit.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Seth Hughes Guest

hey guys,

first thanks for the response very helpful.

to answer some of your questions.

- that primary drain line does not have a positive pitch to the tee(must have been the way i took the pic)
    -i assume the unit is receiving combustion air from the return air arrangement, which i included a photo.
    -the furnace is sitting on a piece of plywood about 24 in high in the closet
    -as for the flex pipe i am not sure still looking for something that says it is not allowed in louisiana.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Seth, try using the search on this site, this (the gas flex line) has been discussed several times here before.
    Jim

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 08-30-2007 at 09:59 PM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Did it by any chance have one of these?

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 08-31-2007 at 07:00 AM.

I don't know about Louisiana, but... around here... as a practical matter, AHJs are going to take one look one at that, cover Brownie's tag with a nice bright red one, tell you to give them a call once you have replaced that kluge with a properly installed unit, and *strongly* suggest that it be direct vent.

Seth Hughes Guest

ummm...ok

Eric Shuman Guest

Seth,

As Jim said do a search on this site about the gas flex line entering the side of the furnace. I personally would write it up as a repair issue whether it is allowed in your area or not. Common sense dictates that is is a potential disaster waiting to happen.

I inspected a furnace this week that was vibrating just slightly and the flex connector was configured like the one in your picture but was right against the metal edge. There was a small wear spot on the side of the pipe where it was rubbing against the sheet metal.

Who knows how long before the pipe (that I saw) would rupture and cause a major gas leak. I call this out every time, even when the installer has put a piece of foam around the pipe as a grommet. Ever seen an airhandler vibrate when the bearings are going out on the fan? Things can move and shift.

Eric

Seth,

In my area that furnace would get tagged by the gas company or the AHJ for certain, for reasons too numerous easily list.

For starters, one major issue is that return air "seal" to the door, which almost certainly allows air to be pulled out of the closet area above and recirculated through the supply ducting. In doing so, it can pull combustion products along with it. Did you look at the back side of the door?... I've seen the situation where the paint was blistering due to hot combustion gases pulled back out the draft hood.

That furnace likely *could* be installed such that (except for the existing return air arrangements) it meets the codes as enforced in my area, but as a practical matter most AHJs here would *much* rather see a direct vent appliances taking their combustion air from the exterior in such closets, and that is what would usually be retrofitted to such a closet rather than trying to properly install another mid-efficiency furnace.

Phil Lanier Guest

These are typical conditions found in older homes. Did you also get that the return air is bypassing the HVAC filter? Get on your hands and knees and look up at the evaporator coil, you'll normally find the coil clogged and rusted. Look closely at the door, these doors do not come with the holes pre-cut from the mfgr. This is a good example of an old school install. Poor set up.

See ya,
    Phil Lanier