Don Martin Guest

Default Special - Not for General Use

Found this breaker sitting loose in the panel. Not sure what to think of it. Any thoughts?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Special - Not for General Use

I find loose unused breakers in service panels quite often. Being that they are not connected or in use, I don't worry about them or give it a second thought. I just move on and look for the real concerns.

Yes, but... what does that marking mean?

A Google for UL "Not for General Use" gets me to item 43 here and "HOM2305210" returns "Motor Control" as the type here.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 03-15-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Robert Meier Guest

According to that part number the Sq D website lists that as a miniature Circuit Breaker.

http://products.schneider-electric.u...countrycode=us

It's probably an inverse-time breaker typically used for motor control circuits as opposed to a "typical" thermal magnetic breaker.

All molded case circuit breakers are INVERSE TIME circuit breakers (OK 99% of them). All this means is the higher the current the faster the CB trips.

Circuit breakers utilized in typical branch circuit wiring are thermal magnetic devices. That is thermal is the long time/overload portion, higher the current the faster the circuit breaker operates for over loads.

For thermal Such as a 20 am CB may carry 300% (60 amp) for 30 seconds
    200% (40 amps) for 90 seconds
    110% (22 amps) for days
    All times are estimates/guesses as I do not have time curves available at this time, (there are in the office).

For Instantaneous Instantaneous occurs at multiples above 400% typically and operates on the same principle, the higher the current the faster the CB trips.

Inverse only CBs are normally part of a motor control stater or motor control center where the thermal (long time/overload) protects the motor against overloads, the inverse time is for fault protection and is sized to permit the motor to start (starting currents are typically 4-6 times). Inverse CBs have settings from 4-12 times normally that is for a 20 amp CB 80 to 240 amps.

Last edited by Brad Richter; 03-15-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Good info Brad.
    I was thinking that this may have simply been a manual/mechanical disconnect w/o any overcurrent or short circuit protection.
    Kind of like those tap blocks in the form of a circuit breaker case used to feed some panels.

Robert Meier Guest

Judging from the part number I'm inclined to think that it's a counterfeit breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    Judging from the part number I'm inclined to think that it's a counterfeit breaker.
    That is a possibility. That number could be a distributors part number rather than a manufacturer's part number.

I have some ITE BQ frame breakers (bolt -on type) that are marked in the same manner, the reason being they have 1/4" quick-disconnect terminals instead of the traditional lugs,they are intended for OEM use in equipment.