Jim Gecz Guest

Default Air in Well Pump line

After a submersible well pump cycles off, what would cause air in the feed line by the pressure tank? That is, I was stationed at the pressure tank and once the pump shut off I would hear air glubbing back through the feed line (glubbing being a technical term, as in “glub, glub, glub”).

Never encountered this before, and I have no idea if it is an indication of any problem. Other than the air noise, the pump cycled properly, and the pressure spread was fine (35 to 55lbs).

Thanks!

Jim

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Air in Well Pump line

Was water flowing back down into the well?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jim Gecz Guest

Yes, it was a bladder type pressure tank. And I would imagine that water flowing back down the pipe to the well could also cause the noise. That might indicate a defective check valve, correct?

I have attached a couple of photos.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

James Duffin Guest

If there is not already a check valve in the line going to the well I would install one. It sounds like you have water running back into the well when the pump shuts off. This would be installed right at the top of the well before any other tanks or devices.

Submersible pumps have built in check valves but they some time go bad.

Last edited by James Duffin; 08-30-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

I think Scott and James are onto to it: Bad check valve (foot valve).

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Even if the bad check valve is not replaced (it should be) adding one as close to the well head as possible will hold as much water in the pipe as possible, and will stop the water from "glubbing" back down from the check valve on.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jim Gecz Guest

Gentlemen, once again, my thanks. If I could just invest in the collective gold mine of this group I would no longer have to look at well pressure tanks!