Paul Tooley Guest

Default gas pressure regulator locations

I looked at a new construction this morning and I need to get the report out quickly. I have never come across this particular situation. at least I don't think I have.

any ideas? sorry for being cro-magnon

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: gas pressure regulator locations

The main problem I see is that there is no drip/sediment leg installed before the regulator. The location of the regulator looks OK to me.

Paul Tooley Guest

Thanks James. My mind was blowing bubbles for a few there.
    where in NC are you?

Is that LP gas?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Is the supply CSST?

Does it have a ground?

I'm not sure that code addresses whether or not the service shut off valve should be after the regulator or before it (never found it addressed), however, I would want the regulator located elsewhere, with (which means) the service shut off valve is located at the unit after the regulator.

That regulator can expel gas and should be at least 3 feet from the ignition source of the furnace, and, (if propane, below the ignition source, if natural gas, above the ignition source).

There does appear to be a vent limiter in the regulator vent, which is good because the vent is located inside (in the attic is inside).

I think I see a sediment trap hanging down under the furnace, I'd recommend this be relocated where it is accessible for cleaning (do this when the regulator is relocated, put the sediment trap after the shut off valve like it is now, but out where it is accessible).

Also, that right panel on the furnace looks to be removable, so why route the gas line in front of it, making its removal for service difficult?

I see a condensate line there, which indicates an evaporator coil may be present, and, if so, the auxiliary drain pan under the furnace/coil is turned the wrong way (it's length goes under the width of the furnace).

That will do for starters (it's my bedtime and I'm tired, can't think much more).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cool Re: gas pressure regulator locations

Jerry is correct on the 3ft clearance from the regulator vent. However, this can be circumvented by running a vent line elsewhere but really that MP reg. should have been located elsewhere. The shutoff must be upstream of every regulator in case the diaphragm blows. IFGC 410.2.5 & 6 require tee fittings up and downstream of reg. to act as a sediment trap to protect the regulator and provide means of measuring pressures on both sides of the regulator. These tees must be installed btw reg. and upsteam shutoff and downstream within 10 pipe diameters. Section 409.4 requires a listed shutoff immediately upstream of any MP reg. BTW, I use gas cocks with pressure taps in them, which satisfies the upstream tee but you still need a sediment trap according to how this is worded.

HTH,
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.