mathew stouffer Guest

Default Shake roofing, exposed staples

Is this an installation identified as issue, half of the shake roofing was stapled. The roof was installed in 1998, around here they dont last long but I usually don't see them stapled.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Shake roofing, exposed staples

That roof is crap. I've never seen anything like it. I wonder if they nailed the shakes too high and got called back to fasten the ends down?

Anyway, every spot where there is a crack above a gap is a potential leak.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

mathew stouffer Guest

It's a POS I know. It has 3 years max

Only thing worse and not by much is exposed underlayment.
    Speaking of wood shake roof coverings what genius thought up covering a roof with kindling?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

I see it done as a "repair" for curled shakes on a aging roof and write it up as poor practice.... I've never seen anything like the pics. That's just terrible.

Guess he ran out of staples. The shingles closest to the valley have not been stapled.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Ugh. That's brutal.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I've seen them like that too - always wrote them up for replacement too.

Usually, as I understand what roofers told me, was that they would start to repair a roof and insert new wood shingles, which would need to have exposed fasteners because they were inserted under the shingles above them, and then ... the shingles above the new ones would need to be replaced, and before the roofer knew it, he had worked all the way to the ridge. At that point he realizes that he should just have removed the shingles down to the starting point and installed new shingles the correct way - but that was, of course, already after the repair was done.

That was what was given to me as an excuse - not an acceptable excuse, but that was the excuse.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I can guarantee that the staples will cause the shakes to self destruct and split into pieces.
    There appears to be staples at the top of the shake exposed in the gap.

Additionally I would say that the spacing is to wide.

There is no rational reason for it to have been done that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Speaking of wood shake roof coverings what genius thought up covering a roof with kindling?
    That would have been a native American, or what y'all still call them, an American Indian.
    It was a good way for a pioneer to get a dry roof over his family's heads, and a hand-split cedar shake roof was hugely better then the sod they had to use out on the prairie, eh?

Back in the 70's, every golf course development around here called for high-end cedar shake roofs on the houses. We said then that the wood would run out. You can only get good shakes from mature old growth cedar, (or redwood if you're so lucky).

Wildfires through the suburbs seems to have changed people's minds about cedar roofs. There are still a few small mills here that turn out shakes and shingles, but I don't know who they're selling to. In the past, most of it went to California (for fire starter).

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca