Erin Wallace Guest

Default Summer Apt Smells like Car Exhaust Winter Apt Smells like Natural Gas

In the winter the foyer to my apartment building smells like natural gas. NICOR gas came and inspected and found no leaks. In the warmer weather the Apt. smells like car exhaust. I live on the first floor, and the hotwater heater and central air/heating are located at the rear of the building just sub floor level of my apartment. The building is next to a lumber yard. We are also having some plumbing issues in the kitchen, seems like a pipe was plugged which was fixed after we moved in but now when we run the dishwasher water seems to be coming up through the floor tiles and from under the cabinets, no leaking from pipes under the sink - can this be related the poor air quality - Any ideas? The building owner will be contacted about water leaks after the weekend.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Summer Apt Smells like Car Exhaust Winter Apt Smells like Natural Gas

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Wallace View Post
    In the winter the foyer to my apartment building smells like natural gas. NICOR gas came and inspected and found no leaks. In the warmer weather the Apt. smells like car exhaust. I live on the first floor, and the hotwater heater and central air/heating are located at the rear of the building just sub floor level of my apartment. The building is next to a lumber yard. We are also having some plumbing issues in the kitchen, seems like a pipe was plugged which was fixed after we moved in but now when we run the dishwasher water seems to be coming up through the floor tiles and from under the cabinets, no leaking from pipes under the sink - can this be related the poor air quality - Any ideas? The building owner will be contacted about water leaks after the weekend.
    No telling what it might be. It could be everything from fumes from traffic on the street, plumbing problems to heating and cooling problems.

Do you have central AC?
    What type of Heating system?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Erin Wallace Guest

Default Re: Summer Apt Smells like Car Exhaust Winter Apt Smells like Natural Gas

We have central air and a furnace 'force air?"

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Wallace View Post
    We have central air and a furnace 'force air?"
    Well, it would go with reason that it has to do with the HVAC system but this is just a SWAG.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Erin Wallace Guest

Thanks for responding everyone. I will discuss with the building owner. Lots of good info on your site - appreciate it. E

Although carbon monoxide is odorless, a CO detector might be a good investment.

Galen L. Beasley
    Inspections Supervisor
    Housing Authority of Kansas City MO