Christian Tag Guest

Default Foundation crack

Hi everyone,

Ive noticed a horizontal crack on the foundation (most probably the parging). Could that be caused by a structural problem or is it a minor crack ?

Thank you

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Foundation crack

In my opinion its a parging crack, but it is possible for the crack to extend into the mortar joint.

Three materials (concrete foundation, mortar joint, and clay brick) all have different expansion and contraction characteristics.

I carry a small crowbar that I use to tap parged surfaces. The sound of the tapping will indicate a loose surface. Based upon the photos I'd say there's no significant concern.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Pic 1 is just a parging crack along an overfilled seam
    Pic 2 could also be a surface parging crack, or more depends. Anytime you see masonry cracking and there is a downspout in the vicinity you need to assess what that downspout is doing.
    The DS could be ok, could be a failed connection, could be building up ice and saturating the wall.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

try this, may help you determine

Attached Files Attached Files
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Interesting the second photo of the foundation crack is adjacent to a raingutter downspout. Hmmmmm ?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Christian Tag Guest

Thank you very much for your quick answers !

Eric Shuman Guest

I see both of these types of cracks commonly. The first photo looks like the joint between the brick and brick ledge has "popped" the parge coating horizontally (possibly from differing thermal expansion between the materials). I typically do not call this out as a structural issue unless there are other indications present.

The second photo looks like it has occured at the corner of the foundation. It looks similar to what I usually call a "corner pop" and can be caused by the brick that is adhered to the foundation brick ledge having different thermal expansion than the foundation (this is mentioned in the PDF file Barry posted) and stressing against the corner causing the crack. I see this quite commonly. I do list this as an issue as the corner may continue cracking at both sides and, depending on how far back fromthe corner the cracking is, I have seen (not so commonly) where the corner of the foundation will spall or fall off. This may leave the bricks undersupported at the corner which can lead to more cracking or settlement in the brick veneer near the corner.

On the other hand, I have seen where nothing significant ever occurs with this type of cracking. That's my 2 cents based on the photos which, as we all know, are never a substitute for actually seeing issues in person.