Default 3-Tab Manf. Life Rating

90% of the ones I've seen come with a 20 years rating.... of course, ones that are coming up for replacement now were put on 20 years ago and I suppose things could have been different.

I've seen some (usually on manf. homes) that had only 15 year rating. Today I had a roofer tell me they all were 25 year roofs ???? From what I've seen they mostly need to be replace around 18 years.... could be limped along to 20 but that was it. Of course there are many other factors.

But... in your experience, what's the manufactuer's rating for the most common 3-tab ashpalt/fiberglass shingle?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: 3-Tab Manf. Life Rating

They ones in my area used to be 15 year 3 tab or a 30 year laminated arch. Then a few months ago I found out that all the 3 tabs were now a 30 year warranty... same shingle thickness, weight as far as I can tell but they gave it twice the warranty. Just marketing fluff as far as I can tell. Even 15 year shingles rarely made it that long without being replaced due to hail or wind since about every 7 years we can expect significant hail or tornadic winds.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

3-tab shingles in my area will have a 12-15 year life on the average.

Keep in mind that any roof warranty is a pro-rated warranty and covers only the shingles, not the installation, roof felt, decking, fasteners, labor, etc..

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

From what I understand, and it seems to figure, manufacturers are putting less petroleum in shingles to be competitive. We have a 30 year laminate shingle and there's no way it's going to last that long - even 20 won't happen. As Jim said, it's the power of marketing that misleads people.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Thanks guys..... it was just really surprising to hear a roofer overstating the life. The house in question was 27 years and there had been about 10 leaks, as expected.

Roofmaster 417 Guest

20 years ago the materials were much better than they are now.15 year shingles are not manufactured and 20's are on their way out too.Certainteed makes a 30 year 3 tab the XT30 and they have a 20 year the XT20.It is possible for a roof to still have 3 tabs that were installed 20+ years ago.(3 tabs)

20's are still manufactured and 30's are preferred but 25 year is the typical manufactured shingle.(3tabs)

In reality depending on location and if the roof is properly vented you should get about 15-20 out of a 25 year.(3 tabs)

The lifespan of a roof is really determined on where you live.How much snow and ice,Hail,tornado's and excessive temperatures along with adequate ventilation are the real factors with the longetivity of a roof system.

Last edited by Roofmaster 417; 03-20-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Great info Barry.
    Thanks

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Has anyone else noticed the prevalence of using standard 3 tab (thin) shingles for the hip and ridge on laminate shingle roofs?
    I saw it yesterday on a 20 year old house and the hip and ridge shingles were in bad shape but still some life left in the field shingles which were laminates.

Just today on a new construction I noted the entire subdivision had the same thing...
    In my opinion it is wrong to use a product destine to fail in half the time on a premium (up-charge) roof.

Is anyone up to date on the manufacturers position on this?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

This link will take you there without registration:

http://docserver.nrca.net:8080/technical/9632.pdf

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the prevalence of using standard 3 tab (thin) shingles for the hip and ridge on laminate shingle roofs?
    Not me!

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Is there any predictable method for establishing when a roof was installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason V. Advani View Post
    Looking at the date on permit is a good place to see when it was permitted.

That does not mean it was actually installed/replaced then, or at all.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason V. Advani View Post
    Date stamps on plumbing vent flashings and square plastic roof vents are the best tool. You can also factor in when the house was built and when it was "likely" to be replaced - example: A house built in 1990 with a farily new looking roof was "likely" to be replaced around the 20 year mark.

I don't always share all this with the client.... it's really just a way to gather clues. A receipt from the seller is also very helpful.... but rare.

On edit: Oregon doesn't require permits for re-roofs so that's out as a tool around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    You can also factor in when the house was built and when it was "likely" to be replaced - example: A house built in 1990 with a farily new looking roof was "likely" to be replaced around the 20 year mark.
    That life expectancy varies around the country and even from parts of some states to other parts of the same state.

For example, in South Florida, an asphalt composition shingle roof may last 8-12 years. Up here in Ormond Beach, that same asphalt composition shingle roof may last 15-20 years or more.

Another affect on shingle life is roof slope. A typical 4:12 to 6:12 roof slope will likely not last as long as a 9:12 to 12:12, and a roof greater than 12:12 may last even longer even though the shingle may well loose their granules quicker.

I expected to maybe get 5 years from the roof on our house here when we bought it - it has now been 6-1/2 years and I don't see any significant difference between what I remember the roof to be when we bought the house. Our roof slope is 9:12, some in our neighborhood are 14:12 to 21:12.

Too many variables to try to address what you are asking here.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Augy Taylor Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    3-tab shingles in my area will have a 12-15 year life on the average.

Keep in mind that any roof warranty is a pro-rated warranty and covers only the shingles, not the installation, roof felt, decking, fasteners, labor, etc..
    All roofs have what is called a full start / sure start period. This is the time frame that the shingles are covered under the warranty from mfg defect before they become pro rated as Scott mentioned. Regardless of how long the mfg states the warranty lasts, this is what homeowners should pay attention to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I saw it yesterday on a 20 year old house and the hip and ridge shingles were in bad shape but still some life left in the field shingles which were laminates.

Just today on a new construction I noted the entire subdivision had the same thing...
    In my opinion it is wrong to use a product destine to fail in half the time on a premium (up-charge) roof.

Is anyone up to date on the manufacturers position on this?

They do make a low profile cap for laminate shingles that looks like a regular 3 tab when installed. That said, around here the 3 tab is used all the time as cap, best clue (not a guarantee) on a new roof is the slight color variation.