Default Limiting forum to HIs

A few people have suggested to me that I not post in the main part of the forum because I'm not an HI. Personally, I think the forum benefits from a little diversity, and it's nice when the occasional tradesman or contractor drops in to add to the discussion. Sometimes it seems like an HI issue would benefit from the homeowners' viewpoint.

Unfortunately, those people brave enough to try posting here - even HIs - are often subject to hostility, derision, sarcasm, unfounded accusations, and taunts. By and large, these are from just a few people, but sometimes more are carried along.

This keeps people from posting here. It's not good for the site financially or for the sake of keeping it interesting. Don't accept it.

As for me: I am not a home inspector, but I do inspect homes. I know it's not as thorough as the Inspections HIs do, but part of my job is to photograph and document safety hazards, damage/risks to the building, construction materials, and systems age, type, and condition. Sounds a lot like inspecting to me.

And since this is "Inspection News" and not "Inspectors' News" I figure I have as much right to be here as anyone else.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Default Re: Limiting forum to HIs

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    A few people have suggested to me that I not post in the main part of the forum because I'm not an HI.
    You're joking... Well, I suppose you aren't. That is unprofessional (not you, Kristi). Some of the folks that respond here are not home inspectors.

Keep posting. I'll respond to you. Ignore the clowns. They can't help it.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Kristi
    I enjoy your posts. They are well reasoned, gramatically above average and provide interesting viewpoints. Keep posting...I'll keep reading and responding.

They should get a life.

You are a professional inspector. You inspect homes.
    ( I do wonder why you post your "I am not a Home Inspector..." disclaimer in your posts. You owe nobody an apology.)

What is the difference between an inspector that inspects homes for a buyer, a seller, a homeowner, a bank or an underwriter?
    All are looking at the same thing, most for the same conditions.
    How about mold, energy, roof , moisture or EIFS.
    Perhaps Caoimhin should be banned?
    We have been warned about Jerry.

Does that mean if you retire you must leave?

Whomever feels this way should post their reasons/reasoning in the open forum.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Kristi,

Your concerns are very justified. Those who have admonished you for not being an inspector do not run the board, they are myopic and socially incompetent, as well as argumentative.

And yes home inspectors have been subjected to the same treatment by those who are nothing by hypocrites, have no profile yet profess to be experts in every conceivable area.

Since this is a public board and having witnessed the attacks, I am at a loss as to wonder how these people exchange opinions and information to their clients without the intimidation tactics which seems to be their trademark.

I strongly suggest if the tone of the replies by those that can't reply in a civil manner or who include veiled threats or disturbing images, or calling people outright liars in replies be reported by using the red "REPORT" button. If enough complain perhaps these rogues will lose their posting privileges.

Kristi, you have as much right to post here as anyone else and contribute, and considering what has been thrown at you, you have remained above it.

Keep posting, knowing that most of us agree with your assessment, and I like others, enjoy your posts.

Continued success.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Some people forget where they came from and think this forum is theirs. If they don't like what you have to say, they don't have to read it or respond to it. Keep posting Kristi.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I know of only one person who can decide if a person should not use this forum and that would be the owner, Brain. I don't see that happening....

I like folks other than crotchety disgruntled old home inspectors posting and asking questions on this forum!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I like folks other than crotchety disgruntled old home inspectors posting and asking questions on this forum!
    Hey, watch who you're calling crotchety!

A few people have suggested to me that I not post in the main part of the forum because I'm not an HI. Personally, I think the forum benefits from a little diversity,

And since this is "Inspection News" and not "Inspectors' News" I figure I have as much right to be here as anyone else.
    Kristi keep on ah posting.
    Too often we get set in our own way of thinking. With questions and posts from members like you, contractors, and homeowners it helps me see the other sides view..

Now if you decide to start hijacking the topics for the sole purpose of selling crap, and useless certificiations to scam the public, I may change my mind.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

As long as posts are useful and respectful of others I'm happy as a clam. Besides, a little "outside" input is refreshing.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

This board is no different than those of other topics I've frequented over the years... there's always a couple people who think they own it and can tell everyone who can post, where to post, what to post, etc, etc.

Don't let them get under your skin... IMO your work more than qualifies you to be here.

Well gosh! Thanks for all the great responses! I hope I didn't sound like I was looking for "strokes," but it sure is nice hearing people tell me to keep posting. I've learned so much here, and it's been really nice getting to know the forum members; I'm lucky to have found the site!

The primary reason I started this thread is because it provides something to link to if anyone sees someone getting a hard time for posting here without being an HI. It shows there are many others here who feel that different viewpoints can be refreshing.

Raymond has a good point that some posts really do deserve to be reported. I admit I've been reluctant to do so when attacked personally, maybe because of the subconscious idea that it's like "tattling." I can take a few nasty posts pointed at me, but it seems like some posts are no good for the forum as a whole, and Brian should be made aware of them.

One other comment I'll address:
    Steven said,
    ( I do wonder why you post your "I am not a Home Inspector..." disclaimer in your posts. You owe nobody an apology.)

What is the difference between an inspector that inspects homes for a buyer, a seller, a homeowner, a bank or an underwriter?
    This is a good question. It's not an apology, I added the disclaimer when I was new here because people sometimes didn't understand why I don't do some normal HI things. I believe there are differences in perspective among the types of inspections. My "allegiance" (such as it is) is to the company I work for, so I have to abide by their rules. This means not telling the HO my findings, and keeping a hands-off approach to inspections: for instance, I'm not allowed to open covers on furnaces or service panels, test anything, turn things on and off, etc. I also don't have to worry about the same liability issues as HIs do, and in some ways that frees me to make comments here that HIs might be reluctant to make; I don't have to worry about some homeowner using my opinion in a lawsuit.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Thumbs up Re: Limiting forum to HIs

Kristi, I agree with all the comments above ( hope my opinion means something on this board ). You are certainly welcome here.

The DIY/Home buyer section is really just for people who have a quick question, those who wish to be an active participant on the board are welcome to post in other sections.

Alway report abuse on the board. While I may not act on it right away the information helps in future decisions.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Brian,
    You have a great website here that is a resource for countless Home Inspectors (all included) and DIY's as well. Thanks for allowing a little freedom of expression, but I agree with the majority, it should be governed if not by one's own conscience, then by a higher authority. It's kind of like the referee in the ring.... "Keep it clean and above the belt".

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

Kristi
    You can find thin skins; know it alls and bullies on most bulletin boards. Your job; ignore them. There are many times I want to take on some of these buffoons, but avoid bantering with them is always the best course. Stick around and I’ll guarantee you will learn something. I have.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Page View Post
    Kristi
    I enjoy your posts. They are well reasoned, gramatically above average and provide interesting viewpoints. Keep posting...I'll keep reading and responding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    They should get a life.

All are looking at the same thing, most for the same conditions.
    Agreed on all counts, and what everyone else has said too.
    Whomever feels this way should post their reasons/reasoning in the open forum.[/QUOTE]

"They should get a life." and "Whomever feels this way should post their reasons/reasoning in the open forum."

Yep, they need to get a life and maybe even reconsider who they are and why they think they can post here and Kristi shouldn't.

On many aspects, Kristi knows more than many of us do, on other aspects, it may be just the opposite - so what?

Kristi, any initials of those telling you that? It might be helpful to the rest of us to know those who are on the dark side.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry P, real easy to find one in this thread: printing is in red (post was removed, but quoted by another). A few others agreed.

Jerry M:
    Kristi
    You can find thin skins; know it alls and bullies on most bulletin boards. Your job; ignore them. There are many times I want to take on some of these buffoons, but avoid bantering with them is always the best course. Stick around and I’ll guarantee you will learn something. I have.
    I'm not concerned about me, I'm concerned about the people who don't post here because they see what goes on. I know they're there because some have written me PMs with interesting comments about a thread, and told me they don't post because they don't want to deal with the crap around here. That's why ignoring abuse isn't always best. If we all ignore bad behavior it will continue, and it's a detriment to the board. You shouldn't have to have a thick skin to participate here.

Oh! Almost forgot...Thank you Brian for speaking up on the issue of forum participation! It's good to have it from the man behind it all. And encouraging people to report abuse is important. It's very easy to just ignore it until it almost becomes accepted behavior.

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 03-21-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

There is so much that could be said, but I don't have the patience or desire to "write a book".

The original post shows a picture and asks what is going on.
    I see nothing wrong with that. An honest answer was sought, the reason for asking should have no effect on the answer.

As far as the answer from the HI company, in my humble opinion... it is doubletalk bull shirt. I also agree with post 17 by Dom, and will not repeat. But, imagine if all we had to do it take a bunch of photos, hand them to the client, and be finished?

By the way, many inspectors do not add photos (or add a minimal amount), so it can not be proved that they simply missed something that was evident. (same reason hospitals don't allow photos during operations/procedures)

The harshness and nastiness is not my favorite flavor. Although I dearly miss AD.

I still feel the same way about your footer. All is does is say, over and over... with each and every post... that you don't belong here. I think you DO belong here.

Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 03-21-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: splelling
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

You confused me there, until I realized you were talking about the other thread! Isn't it weird how a thread go off the deep end sometimes? Ryan was a good sport about it all.

I'm glad you pointed out my footer to me, Steven. After your last post I read it, and it didn't really seem so appropriate anymore, at least because most people know me by now anyway. And it may invite some to give less consideration to what I say.

I'll have to find some pithy saying now to put there.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post
    Kristi, I agree with all the comments above ( hope my opinion means something on this board ). You are certainly welcome here.
    Who is this guy and why is he posting on MY board?

I'll have to find some pithy saying now to put there.
    I have dozens of them. How about "It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to
    do it."

Darrel Hood Guest

Kristi, keep posting. We all need a laugh sometimes. If a reader doesn't want to read posts from a certain person, they can use the ignore feature. So far, I have used it for one person and you ain't them.