Thread: Proper Fitting

Default Proper Fitting

This fitting did not look correct to me. It is directly under the toilet. The line from the left is the drain line from the bathtub. Normally, I see a San T, or something with more of a directional flow. This was more like a cross T. Is this fitting acceptable to tie in the tub drain line to?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: Proper Fitting

Looks to be an okay fitting.

Typically, you would see the side inlets as a sanitary tee because that is what the code requires for a change from horizontal to vertical, and those side inlets looked to be straight, not curved like a sanitary tee.

However, after some searching I found this: P418-338 - Spears P418-338 - 3" PVC DWV Sanitary Tee w/ 2" R and L Side Inlets
    This shows a cut-a-way view and the side inlets are curved similar to a sanitary tee, even though the exterior of the side inlets look straight.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Just Curious Jim,

What's Connected to the Duct Taped Metal Vent Pipe ?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Just Curious Jim,

What's Connected to the Duct Taped Metal Vent Pipe ?
    Billy,

I figured neither that nor the fitting would matter with all that paper facing exposed on the insulation and ready to burn the place down.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Billy,

I figured neither that nor the fitting would matter with all that paper facing exposed on the insulation and ready to burn the place down.
    Good Point,

At least that way The Fireman wouldn't fall and get hurt from the open sided Stairway.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Good Point,

At least that way The Fireman wouldn't fall and get hurt from the open sided Stairway.
    The firefighters would fall because their boots got caught in the open risers with the full height opening ... just the right size for their boots.

Who needs a guard rail or handrail at that old basement stairs anyway? Silly things just get in the way and look ugly.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

The firefighters would fall because their boots got caught in the open risers with the full height opening ... just the right size for their boots.
    Nope,

From the looks of the Back Support and Attachment The Stairs would have fell long before The Fire Departments arrival.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 03-21-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: wrong photo

The metal pipe with the tape is the dryer vent.

Thanks for the help, all of you.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Nope,

From the looks of the Back Support and Attachment The Stairs would have fell long before The Fire Departments arrival.
    That's not the stair support, that's some type of wall. Look closely at the lower left corner of that photo and you will see the stairs are to the left in that photo. The photog was standing near the stairs and facing toward the bottom of the stairs for that photo.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ten or twelve years ago I had to set for a test to get a permit to run my own sewer line when the septic died. One of the questions was to identify the picture of a "cottage fitting". Never heard of one before, but that is what they called the one pictured by Jim. No I didn't get it right! Been looking for one eversince.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

That fitting used to be called a cottage fitting back in the day. Now its just known as a side inlet sanitary tee.