Thread: Pipe support

Default Pipe support

I'm aware of the various requirements with regard to the distance pipe supports are supposed to be used. However, sometimes I find there is lack of a support at the end of a pipe run even though the supports are are installed at the minimum required distances.

One example might be a steel gas pipe that comes down from the ceiling and changes to a flexible appliance connector before going into a water heater. Another might be CPVC water distribution pipes under a sink that change to flexible connectors before attaching to faucets. These examples leave the ends of the pipe run loose to move around which I suppose could subject them to damage. The push pull type shutoffs under the sinks in new construction take two hands to operate since many times the pipe has no support at the end and moves in and out of the wall cavity significantly.

Are there any requirements specifically for support at the end of pipe runs and if so, what are the written references?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Pipe support

From the 2006 IRC: (bold and underlining are mine)
    - P2605.1 General. Piping shall be supported in accordance with the following:
    - - 1. Piping shall be supported to ensure alignment and prevent sagging, and allow movement associated with the expansion and contraction of the piping system.
    - - 2. Piping in the ground shall be laid on a firm bed for its entire length, except where support is otherwise provided.
    - - 3. Hangers and anchors shall be of sufficient strength to maintain their proportional share of the weight of pipe and contents and of sufficient width to prevent distortion to the pipe. Hangers and strapping shall be of approved material that will not promote galvanic action. Rigid support sway bracing shall be provided at changes in direction greater than 45 degrees (0.79 rad) for pipe sizes 4 inches (102 mm) and larger.
    - - 4. Piping shall be supported at distances not to exceed those indicated in Table P2605.1.

Keep in mind that the above are *minimums* (i.e., maximum spacing between supports, but not necessarily 'good practice').

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry. I had read all of that in my copy of the 2006 IRC prior to posting. I can't find indisputable wording that specifically requires support at the end of runs.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Thanks Jerry. I had read all of that in my copy of the 2006 IRC prior to posting. I can't find indisputable wording that specifically requires support at the end of runs.
    John,

The indisputable proof that support and securing is needed there is what you first posted: "The push pull type shutoffs under the sinks in new construction take two hands to operate since many times the pipe has no support at the end and moves in and out of the wall cavity significantly."

That is proof enough that the code minimums are insufficient and inadequate.

During plumbing rough inspections I pull and push on each stub out, if it moves it requires additional securing.

Why? Because the code says so: (from the 2012 IRC, which is the same as the 2006 IRC)
    - P2605.1 General.
    - - Piping shall be supported in accordance with the following:
    - - - 1. Piping shall be supported to ensure alignment ...

If I can pull or push it, then it is not "supported to ensure alignment". Quite simple, really.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    John,

The indisputable proof that support and securing is needed there is what you first posted: "The push pull type shutoffs under the sinks in new construction take two hands to operate since many times the pipe has no support at the end and moves in and out of the wall cavity significantly."

That is proof enough that the code minimums are insufficient and inadequate.

During plumbing rough inspections I pull and push on each stub out, if it moves it requires additional securing.

Why? Because the code says so: (from the 2012 IRC, which is the same as the 2006 IRC)
    - P2605.1 General.
    - - Piping shall be supported in accordance with the following:
    - - - 1. Piping shall be supported to ensure alignment ...

If I can pull or push it, then it is not "supported to ensure alignment". Quite simple, really.
    I see your point. Looks like that interpretation covers it.

Our AHJ requires the same thing. The pipe has to be secured at the wall, usually where the pipe comes out of the floor then 90's out of the wall where the shut-off is to be attached.

We look at it during the plumbing top out and verify that it is still secure at the plumbing final by pushing/pullng the shut-off.