Thread: All screwed up

Stephen G Guest

Default All screwed up

Screws do not work well in shear. Every joist hangar was screwed into the ledger. Client asked how long it would take to replace them with nails...I said there is apprx 25 joist hangars with ten nail holes to fill. Min 250, client then mentions not very handy with a hammer,,you'd be pretty decent when your done all the hammering...

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: All screwed up

Depends on the screws.

Simpson makes special screws for their fasteners, and some screws perform better than nails. Be careful when saying screws as not just any screw will do, but don't make the mistake of lumping all screws together either.

I've seen (at a Simpson training class at the Simpson facility in Jacksonville) screws which bend just like nails do.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Stephen G Guest

Okay , do these special screws look like normal deck screws? Cuz these all look like the ones used to fasten down the deck boards...

gotta look for those screws you speak of....

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
    Okay , do these special screws look like normal deck screws? Cuz these all look like the ones used to fasten down the deck boards...

As You Wish simpson strong tie screws - Google Search

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Stephen G Guest

Billy,
    of course I did that. long before I opend myself open to your wit, and JP advice.... dozens of screws, none look like a normal deck screw...the only special one I saw had a hex head

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post

Billy,
    of course I did that. long before I opend myself open to your wit, and JP advice.... dozens of screws, none look like a normal deck screw...the only special one I saw had a hex head
    Right.
    Amazon.com: Simpson Strong Tie SD8X1.25 #8 x 1-1/4" Phillips Wafer Head Wood Screw 100 per pack: Home Improvement
    * this particular fastener may or may not be hanger approved see manufacturer

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Those photos are not of sufficient resolution to allow zooming in and seeing the screw heads.

Look at this: 2011-2012 Wood Construction Connectors Catalog from Simpson Strong-Tie

Go down the index to pages 29-30 for the SD fasteners, click on this: SD Structural-Connector Screw, it is a link to those pages.

Do these screws look like the screws you saw?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Stephen G Guest

I cant get that link to work, I even created a log in etc to read the PDF files and still get a blank page.
    I am 99 percent certain it was a deck screw, cant confirm length. Going to look at my photos for a better shot...

I cant get that link to work, I even created a log in etc to read the PDF files and still get a blank page.
    I am 99 percent certain it was a deck screw, cant confirm length. Going to look at my photos for a better shot...
    Took me a couple of tries as well http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/catalog...-p029-p030.pdf

Stephen G Guest

Nope still not working.

Do you think its because my computer wears a toque, eh?

Nope still not working.

Do you think its because my computer wears a toque, eh?
    Might need to upgrade your PDF Reader Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions

Stephen G Guest

I blew the pic up as big as visualy possible, not the best pic but, the tapered neck of the screw is visible and that means it doesnt fit properly into the hanger.

Okay, I understand that a screw fastener is available for this hangar...what are the odds that a out in the middle of nowhere home would have such screws. Just sayin

what are the odds that a out in the middle of nowhere home would have such screws. Just sayin
    Somewhere between a slim chance and a fat chance.

Ain't English fun?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Stephen G Guest

Billy, thank you, good call. After my upgrade to what I hope is virus free

I looked at pgs 29-30...nope those woulda been nice to see.

Thanks guys

sdg

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Might need to upgrade your PDF Reader Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions

250 screws to exchange with nails? I'd put up a support beam and three posts, and get that done faster.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Spax also makes some nice structural screws. A box of the Simpson nails isn't exactly cheap compared to a box of drywall/regular screws. For the novice I'm sure they think 'what's the difference'.
    I defected a really nice new 3 story back porch a few years ago. The developer was so pissed off, him and the listing agent were yelling at me. All the joist hangers were installed with drywall screws. Buyer decided not to buy the unit luckily.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"