Default Purchaser falls though floor of "Historic Property"

"There was much to discover in the nooks and crannies of the massive Revolutionary War-era sandstone house on Staten Island. An October listing by the Gateway Arms Realty Corporation proclaimed the historical relevance of the Neville-Tysen house, named for a retired naval officer on land overlooking the Kill Van Kull.

It also said any deal required cash — $350,000 was the asking price — since no bank would issue a mortgage for 6,000 square feet of badly decaying living space.

“We took experts in and they said it needed extensive renovation,” said Norma Sue Wolfe, an agent with Gateway Arms. “That is where we got that $600,000, or more, was needed to restore it after purchasing.”

On Jan. 5, the seller accepted an offer of $250,000 in cash from Georgia Lind, 65, who expressed an interest in fixing it up to live there and then possibly to sell it as a bed-and-breakfast. The sale went to closing on Wednesday.

On Friday, Ms. Lind was walking around her new home, camera in hand, when one of the home’s secrets unveiled itself: A rotting plywood floorboard covering a 4-by-4-feet opening to an old cistern, which had been designed as a rainwater collection well, gave way; Ms. Lind was seriously hurt when she tumbled 12 feet down to a cold stone bottom that was covered by a film of mud..."

<http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/woman-falls-through-rotting-floor-in-staten-island-and-is-trapped/>

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Purchaser falls though floor of "Historic Property"

and the listing agent immediately announced the buyer discovered a bonus room that can be used as a 5th bedroom.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

cuba_pete Guest

Since the cistern was empty, I hope that was noted in the inspection report that it was not functional.

Not unlike what could happen to any of us if not careful.

Good reason to bring up always checking attic structure before climbing a roof where possible.

Falling 12 feet onto slippery can kill you.(hope she is OK)

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Just a couple of months ago, new house. I head into the walk in attic. Turn right to go the the heat pump. Buyer came around the corner and went left and down through the joists and into the hall. No injury. Severe embarassment and no leverage with the builder.

JLMathis

Frank Adame Guest

I recently fell through the attic floor. There were two 1 by 12s set end to end on top of the insulation. The boards led to the middle of the attic. As soon as I took one step on the first board, I along with 4 sheets of ceiling drywall came tumbling down. From the floor looking up I saw the problem; the boards had been laid parallel to the attic floor joists. The insulation was hiding the joists. What a land mine I stepped on! I also include a comment in my reports about the perils of stepping on osb in the attic.

Quote Originally Posted by cuba_pete View Post
    Since the cistern was empty, I hope that was noted in the inspection report that it was not functional.
    It may be functional, just not in use at that time.

Had a buyer fall through the attic floor once.
    Right abover the master bed.
    Hanging from his armpits, legs dangling over the bed.
    I told him not to come into the attic, he didn't listen.
    As he was hanging there I said," so , do you like the house?"
    He said" kind of"
    I said. "that's good, cause you just bought it"
    Finished the inspection, got paid and was walking out the door when the
    Broker said,"you are going to fix that hole right now aren't you?"
    I said " sure, I'll go get my tools and be right back"
    Never to return
    Haven't seen the broker since then either, wonder why?