Christian Tag Guest

Default Honey in the attic ?

In your professionnal opinion, assuming that during my inspection I did find a bee hive, can you agree that the orange stuff in the attic is most probably honey ?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Honey in the attic ?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Tag View Post
    In your professionnal opinion, assuming that during my inspection I did find a bee hive, can you agree that the orange stuff in the attic is most probably honey ?
    Looks like sap to me. Bees work pretty hard for their honey and are not likely to be that sloppy.

Difficult to say from the photos, but the nests on the exterior appear to be wasp nests not bee hives. However, I am not an expert in wasps or bees.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I agree with Gunnar, looks like sap. There's no way bees would put honey there - they put it in combs. I also agree that it's a wasps' nest.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Garry Blankenship Guest

I'm throwin down w/ Gunnar. Looks like a serious pitch pocket and the exterior nest/s are not honey bee nests, ( hornets or wasps ).

Yep, pitch pocket and wasp nest. No honey or bees.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Christian,
    What makes you think that it is a bee nest?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Tag View Post
    Christian, you need to get out more.... big difference between wasp and honey bees.

I know you are fairly new to the profession but you might want to get with an experienced inspector in your area and tag along with them for a week or two. You can get a ton of help from online discussion boards, but it can only go so far.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Just so we don't all jump on you at the same time, thanks for posting.
    Next time you see something you can't identify, take a closer look, poke it with a screwdriver, maybe. Unless it's a wasp nest.

There's so much to learn in this biz, and one of them is to know your local pests and insects. Bees keep busy gathering nectar. Wasps are predators and don't store food.
    Correction: They do build nests and store a bit of food. A comb without the paper cover, hanging up in an eave is probably an empty wasp nest. The larvae have hatched and left long ago. I have come across wasp's nests as big as basketballs in attics around here. They were not dripping with honey.

When people are bothered by "bees", they should learn that those are wasps. My step dad kept honey hives behind his house in the suburbs. Every time a kid in the hood got a wasp sting, it was his fault.

Last edited by John Kogel; 03-27-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Generally . . . Attics get too hot for bees or hornets. In fact most any insect won't last long up there.

Craw spaces are too cool for bees or hornets but plenty of spiders might call it home.

But in between floor joists is wonderful for hornets.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Rod Butler; 03-27-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Grammar

David Walker Guest

Christian,
    I think you asked a trick question. We were supposed to comment on the row of nails that missed the truss. No windstorm insurance for this house.

Our Mesquite trees here in South Texas drool sap seasonally. When it is still "semi-fluid" it is very sticky and hard to clean from clothes.
    But, I remember from my youth; it does not taste like honey.
    Doesn't tree sap eventually become a rock-like subtance called amber?

Remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Everyone in construction had to learn about sap (and everything else) at some time in their experience. Nobody was "born" with the knowledge.

Igor Plar Guest

no, its not a honey

Paul Walsh Guest

I'm not a home inspector. I'm a molecular biologist. But I agree with everyone who said the gooey stuff is sap, not honey. And, it's not a problem. In the long term, as the sap oozes the wood will dry and could warp. But, as long as the rafters is held immobile by the cross members, it should remain straight.

Honey would be ONLY within the hexagonal honeycombs of a honey bee nest.

The nests outside of the house are not the nests of honeybees. It is difficult to see the details of the nests outside of the house. But they look much more like nests of paper wasps or hornets, not honey bees. Honey bees tend to build their nests inside a protective structure (such as hollow trees) and would not leave their nests exposed as the nests in the photo.

Beehive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was wondering when someone would notice the missed nails in the second photo. Hopefully the framer hit the truss on the second attempt.
    Good example of where a photo of one potential problem sometimes illustrates a different potential problem that you might not have noticed.

Smile Re: Honey in the attic ?

I'm in the same camp as most, that's sap not honey. I've seen honey in hives and once the hive is touched it begins dripping. There's not enough there to be honey.