Default Help, suggestions, comments

Here are some pics of items I have questions on... need help to finish compiling report.

The first photo shows the clutter in the garage... I did move a couple of boxes to access the electrical panel, but, the water heater just received notes on TPR valve, shut off valve, and drain pan then noted that it was not further inspected due to inaccesability

2nd pic... How would you write this up? I stated that for $5 worth of leader they could stop erosion of the roofs granular surface.

3rd pic... got a little harder because I couldn't find any references... The HVAC primary condensate line was discharging directly under the electrical meter and service panel. How'd you like to be standing in that puddle as you're servicing the electrical panel?

4th pic... This home was slab built... I noticed parging to the sides of the slab and thought "what were they trying to hide?" any thoughts?

Anyone?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

Default Re: Help, suggestions, comments

Victor,

Pic.!: Says it as you stated.
    Pic. 2: Clearance between siding and Roof? Looks too close from pic. Not sure about
    SC. but in TN. we are not required to state methods,materials or cost of corrections.
    TN. code rules Pg. 12.
    Pic.3:No comment.
    Pic: 4: Appears to be a stain on floor in front of curb,suspect water seepage. Wall above
    curb repaired? Evidence of spot painting in this area.

Victor, if this curb extends through the wall and a shelf is exposed on the outside. I have seen that area deteriorate due to water erosion.
    Hope you at least get to take Labor day off.

Billy

Matt Hawley Guest

Hello Victor,

This is what I put when I see gutters that drain onto the roof. It's just a poor design, I see it a lot though.

The roof has gutters that discharge onto the roof surface. This results in excessive shingle wear and potential leaking in the areas subjected to concentrated run-off.

Thank you guys...
    This inspection was for a single mother that works as a "legal aide" in a RE office.
    The home is less than a year old and the 12 month warranty is about to expire.
    She had some other issues with the home that took forever for the builder to correct.
    After all the hassle she went through, she wants to make sure she didn't miss anything.
    My statement to her, in person, was...
    " There are minor things wrong with the house that will cost a couple of dollars to correct. Of course a lot of minor items can turn into a Huge mound. You have to figure out how deep you want to get involved in battle. For instance, $5.00 worth of leader pipe and an elbow will prevent erosion of the granular surface on those shingles. On the other hand, your home is one of the few that I've inspected that actually had an anti-tip device installed on your stove. The Clothes dryer vent is nothing but aluminum foil and I suggest replacing it with a solid metal vent, The water accumulating under the meter can be diverted with a couple of dollars worth of plastic pipe...... Etc Etc."

"my written report will address all items large and small... You will give the list to the builder. If they put up resistance to your demands for correction, are you prepared to fight? or can you compromise on small items? "

www.Home2Spec.com

Billy;
    I think this pic better explains what I was talking about with the parge coat on the slab. I think it was used to correct "honeycombing".

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    www.Home2Spec.com

Fritz;

You said that your power co. doesn't allow that, but, since you didn't update your profile, I can't tell where you're from.

Yes, regional differences do make for confusion as each locality adopts their own form of the code.

Even if that was per NEC, I believe that local code enforcement can supercede the code and adopt their own.

That being said, all I can hope is, that when the system was approved, the AHJ had his glasses on.

I'm still going with the "hazardous water puddle under the electrical service " thingy..... just common sense...

www.Home2Spec.com

Pic 3, looks like they may have just screwed the boxes/panels to the siding. This locks the siding in place and can cause it to buckle. At the metallic boxes, they need to stand off from the siding. Looks like that may be plastic conduit protecting the GEC, around here some AHJs require that to be metal (properly bonded at both ends).

Woody Yonts Guest

What about the accumulation of water around the footer from the condensation discharge? On a hot, humid day, 8 to 12 gallons of water can discharge from the line (depending on the size of the cooling system).

Woody;
    Good point.
    The same reason as diverting water from downspouts, subsidence.

www.Home2Spec.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kelly View Post
    it looks like conduit is entering the meter, not the service panel.
    That would be providing physical protection for the GEC (Grounding Electrode Conductor) coming out of the meter can, down the wall, and to the grounding system.

Gets back to the other recent thread about whether or not this should be 'going through' the meter can or not.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com