Default critter burrow saves me

Thanks to the critter burrow that prompted me to look closer under the porch. Otherwise I might have missed the abandoned UST. The fill and vent lines to the left in the first pic serve the newer tank that's in the basement.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: critter burrow saves me

Nice catch, John!

What was the critter? That's too big a trench for a normal rat.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Nice catch, John!

Ya know, when I found the UST I totally lost interest in the critter.

Judging from the size of the trench, probably a rabbit or maybe opossum. Too small for a raccoon or ground hog.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Nice catch, John!

Whistle pig is my guess. At least we know it's not the Norwegian Roof Beaver.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Ya know, when I found the UST I totally lost interest in the critter.

Judging from the size of the trench, probably a rabbit or maybe opossum. Too small for a raccoon or ground hog.
    Wow, your ground hogs are bigger than opossums? Yikes.

Opossums and raccoons don't dig burrows, though they may use those others have dug.

Wood chuck? Oh, wait, that's the same as a ground hog, isn't it. They're more likely to dig around structures than rabbits, that's what I'd guess it is, even if it looks smallish.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    Wow, your ground hogs are bigger than opossums? Yikes.

Opossums and raccoons don't dig burrows, though they may use those others have dug.

Wood chuck? Oh, wait, that's the same as a ground hog, isn't it. They're more likely to dig around structures than rabbits, that's what I'd guess it is, even if it looks smallish.

Groundhogs get pretty hefty around here compared to opossum. Maybe slightly larger.

Are you sure your not confusing them with the prairie dog which are more associated with the mid-west?

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Thanks to the critter burrow that prompted me to look closer under the porch. Otherwise I might have missed the abandoned UST. The fill and vent lines to the left in the first pic serve the newer tank that's in the basement.
    John,

why would you "not" always look closer? i came across a deck the other day vinyl siding to the ground. laying on top of the deck with a probe found it was rotted out. the flipper was as usual trying to hide it. whenever lattice, stored items or something else i always look, cya.

steve

I know what prairie dogs look like, that's not what I mean. We have ground hogs and opossums (the latter only in the last decade or so, but they're moving north). I've seen both in my dad's suburban back yard. Ground hogs can be a major problem, sometimes digging vast burrows under buildings, and chewing on wood.

Male ground hogs get up to about 10 lb., whereas Virginia opossums (the common opossum found in the US) can be up to 14 lb (male) or 8 lb (female). Ground hogs look bigger than they are because of their long, dense fur.

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 04-02-2012 at 09:14 AM.
    Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Be extra careful when rooting around in shaded areas like this.
    It has been my unfortunate experience to discover that the poison ones like to hide among other foliage.
    Also, when the leaves are gone in winter time the vines or branches are still there to share their urosol (sp?).

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Gaudet View Post
    John,

why would you "not" always look closer? i came across a deck the other day vinyl siding to the ground. laying on top of the deck with a probe found it was rotted out. the flipper was as usual trying to hide it. whenever lattice, stored items or something else i always look, cya.

steve

Oh I'm very thorough, trust me. Although, sometimes it seems like a tap on my shoulder comes out of nowhere and says, "go look over there again"

I'm sure any inspector who's been in the business any length of time knows the feeling.