Default retrofit flashing at hardi joints?

I heard an inspector in my area recommending a 10 year old hardi plank install (caulked joints) be retrofit to the new method of the metal flashing at the joints.

I'm thinking this will cause for damage than it's worth and can't envision how the strips would be held in place. Has anyone heard of this or have a take?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: retrofit flashing at hardi joints?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I heard an inspector in my area recommending a 10 year old hardi plank install (caulked joints) be retrofit to the new method of the metal flashing at the joints.

I'm thinking this will cause for damage than it's worth and can't envision how the strips would be held in place. Has anyone heard of this or have a take?
    James Hardie does not require "metal" flashing, with one of their products they require it. Joint flashing could be plastic or a woven housewrap product . I have attached the most recent Hardie install guide. It will eliminate the folklore that is being passed around by home inspectors like the one you were told about.

A normal WRB is required with their primed product and the additional flashing while it is recommended for the primed product is only required for their pre-colored product called Color Plus.

Retrofitting flashing is a joke and shows that the inspector is clueless as to the product he reporting about.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Scott Patterson; 04-03-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com