Garry Blankenship Guest

Default Illustrated Diagrams

Hoping someone might point me toward sources for programs that would allow me to copy illustrations into my reports, ( or posts here ). A picture is worth a thousand words is sometimes true. My keyboarding skills are lacking and being able to copy & paste code references or supportive illustrations would be awesome. I did get a two CD set of "Illustrated Home" about 4 years ago, but it never worked and they did not support it. Something about incompatibility w/ my Vist OS system. As a result, I'm a bit paranoid about these products.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Illustrated Diagrams

Thousands of them.

InterNACHI Inspection Graphics Library: Collections

I have always found using a picture from the actual inspection to be best however and after years of doing this have built my own library thanks to the many posted by Inspectors on all the forums.

I seldom if ever use anything other than a picture from the inspection. Why would you want a diagram of something you could take a picture of? But then I only include photos of the problems.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I seldom if ever use anything other than a picture from the inspection. Why would you want a diagram of something you could take a picture of? But then I only include photos of the problems.
    Scott I agree however there are times when a illustration does a great job of showing how things should be "example" such as a proper porch support,etc.

P.S I found a great way to edit and add illustrations to a certain mobile phone app software .

Ross Montgomery Guest

Illustrations are another tool to help you add value to your report. I use Illustratit see at AZTROM Home Inspection Reporting Software. Also sold at professional equipment. I use illustrations for those things that are not there to take a picture of. Take, for example, an "anti-tilt clip" for a smooth surface range or a "saddle" missing at a chimney, better yet try explaining "ice damming" to a client. Adding illustrations has actually gotten me more business. I had a Realtor actually say she uses me because of the illustrations i use because they help her understand the concern better. Hope this helps

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

The Ilustrated Home diagrams are all in PDF format. There should not be any problem inserting the diagrams in any report.

I have had no problem using the diagrams using a Mac and a PC nor any problem inserting them into Inspectit home inspection report software fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    Scott I agree however there are times when a illustration does a great job of showing how things should be "example" such as a proper porch support,etc.

P.S I found a great way to edit and add illustrations to a certain mobile phone app software .
    True and a good point.

I'm waiting for the iPad software to get released, I do good just typing in a phone number on my iPhone!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Same here with the phone though I am trying to get used to the idea of at least adding material comments for a head start.

Hard to make eye contact with a face full of screen.

There is a neat little program called MW Snap. If you have a diagram in a format that can not be easily inserted in your report, pull it up and use MW snap to take a picture of it. Save the picture and insert it anywhere you can insert a photo.

I use it to take a picture of building permits online and insert them into my wind mitigation reports.

Robert Sole
    REM Inspections LLC
    www.REMinspections.com, Orlando, Oviedo

I use fast stone which is amazing for that.
    There is still old fashioned screen shots however.

The latest version of Home Inspector Pro supports a "sketch" feature. Of course, it would require using a digitizer screen tablet to use it. Not all that workable on a conventional laptop.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

I use the sketch feature to add large full page illustrations once in a while .

The mobile version actually allows me to connect to a photo edit and note taking app market app called free note which rocks like crazy.

Garry Blankenship Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Montgomery View Post
    Illustrations are another tool to help you add value to your report. I use Illustratit see at AZTROM Home Inspection Reporting Software. Also sold at professional equipment. I use illustrations for those things that are not there to take a picture of. Take, for example, an "anti-tilt clip" for a smooth surface range or a "saddle" missing at a chimney, better yet try explaining "ice damming" to a client. Adding illustrations has actually gotten me more business. I had a Realtor actually say she uses me because of the illustrations i use because they help her understand the concern better. Hope this helps
    That's what I'm talkin bout. I think some good illustrations that can be quickly imported into your report have great value. Thank you.

Looks like Azstrom is a full tilt H.I. software pkg. Just looking for illustrations I can use w/o being pursued for copywrite infringement.

Last edited by Garry Blankenship; 04-07-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Not quite what I thought it was

Just posted one in a report showing how back flow prevention devises work and another showing IC vs non IC rated can lights.

Personally I think it is pretty easy to grab them off the internet.

Garry Blankenship Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Sole View Post
    wind mitigation reports.
    Intriguing. Are these reports for us inspectors spouting opinions, about mitigating potential wind damage to a building or what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    Intriguing. Are these reports for us inspectors spouting opinions, about mitigating potential wind damage to a building or what ?
    The wind mitigation program is in response to the hurricanes that have hit Florida. The largest home insurer there is state-funded, and to protect their coffers they instituted a program to encourage people to protect their homes. Homeowners can get government grants and insurance rebates if they design for wind mitigation when building new homes or retrofitting older homes. Inspectors are trained specifically to look at the wind mitigation features, and homeowners can only get the grants/rebates if the proper paperwork is filled out by someone certified to do it.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.