Thread: BBQ

Default BBQ

Does an exterior natural gas bbq enclosure require venting or is it just recommended?

OREP Insurance

Default Re: BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hammond View Post
    Does an exterior natural gas bbq enclosure require venting or is it just recommended?
    Too little information to say, but for most, no additional venting is needed.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Question Re: BBQ

What do you mean by an "exterior NG BBQ enclosure"? A pic or two would help.

Note, if it is a listed product, what do the listed instructions say?

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Okay, let me explain what's going on. I am a general contractor as well as a home inspector, I have a client who I built a guesthouse for several years ago and is in the process of selling his home. He had a home inspection done (not by me) and contacted me to fix the items on his punch list. One of the items on the punch list/inspection report said “ enclosure for gas BBQ is not vented as required”. Now I have never known of any codes for venting exterior built-in gas barbecues while I was building them, and I'm unaware of any as I'm inspecting them. I did some research online and it shows up as a recommendation but I don't see anything that calls out for a requirement (I am not a person who has memorized the code book) . I'm heading up there this afternoon so I can take a picture of it and post it when I get back.

Thanks!
    Greg

Okay, let me explain what's going on. I am a general contractor as well as a home inspector, I have a client who I built a guesthouse for several years ago and is in the process of selling his home. He had a home inspection done (not by me) and contacted me to fix the items on his punch list. One of the items on the punch list/inspection report said “ enclosure for gas BBQ is not vented as required”. Now I have never known of any codes for venting exterior built-in gas barbecues while I was building them, and I'm unaware of any as I'm inspecting them. I did some research online and it shows up as a recommendation but I don't see anything that calls out for a requirement (I am not a person who has memorized the code book) . I'm heading up there this afternoon so I can take a picture of it and post it when I get back.

Thanks!
    Greg
    Request the inspector site the code or requirement.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

One of the items on the punch list/inspection report said “ enclosure for gas BBQ is not vented as required”.
    Probably has an enclosed area below the BBQ where the propane tank is stored, correct?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Natural gas, fully accessible valve (as required).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Do you have the gas line under the slab? Sleeved and vented line?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

The gas line comes through the back of the masonry BBQ through a plastic sleeve. The barbecue is not attached to any part of the homes structure it is freestanding with the back of it being a retaining wall for a planter. I think you are talking about a gas line that goes to an interior kitchen island has to be encased inside ABS pipe with a vent. This is a completely different application than that.

This is a completely different application than that.
    Not that different.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The unit is already vented. Those lids are not gasketed air tight. Besides, there is no standard or code requiring 'venting' of freestanding or detached BBQ grilles. If they needed to be 'vented', the mfrs would be required to design and mfr a flue collar and state the approved type, size and configuration of venting.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

As said earlier you need to get the inspector to cite the code as related to the problem he pointed out.

This would be a good way to end some home inspector folklore and become a learning experience since continuing education is not required in AZ.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Dennis Krouse Guest

If this other inspector wrote "vent as required" then that inspector needs to cite the requirement so everyone is on the same page.

Damn, that's one hell of a grill!

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections