Nikolay Kassabov Guest

Default Kitchen Receptacles requirements

I am remodeling my kitchen and bathroom. The local city inspector told me that the new outlets in the kitchen and bathroom have to be grounded. The problem is that I have a really old house and the old receptacles are not grounded. From reading the NEC, I can't seem to find anywhere stating that Bathroom and Kitchen receptacles have to be grounded. However, they do have to be GFCI. There is no way to bring a ground wire up to these receptacles without knock out some walls. I think all my countertop receptacles need to be GFCI with a label that they are not grounded, while the remaining kitchen receptacles can be replaced with non-ground receptacles.

Please advice!

Thanks,

Nik

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Kitchen Receptacles requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Kassabov View Post
    I am remodeling my kitchen and bathroom. The local city inspector told me that the new outlets in the kitchen and bathroom have to be grounded. The problem is that I have a really old house and the old receptacles are not grounded. From reading the NEC, I can't seem to find anywhere stating that Bathroom and Kitchen receptacles have to be grounded. However, they do have to be GFCI. There is no way to bring a ground wire up to these receptacles without knock out some walls. I think all my countertop receptacles need to be GFCI with a label that they are not grounded, while the remaining kitchen receptacles can be replaced with non-ground receptacles.

Please advice!

Thanks,

Nik
    The inspector is correct. All NEW outlets (receptacle and lighting) must be grounded. All receptacle outlets serving a counter-top (or sink) must ALSO be GFCI.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Default Re: Kitchen Receptacles requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Kassabov View Post
    There is no way to bring a ground wire up to these receptacles without knock out some walls.

You'd be surprised what an experienced electrician can accomplish. Call one and get some advice.

Dom.