Thread: Clay tiles

william siegel Guest

Default Clay tiles

What do you guys think about these tiles? They seem a little too far apart. These repairs were done after Hurricane Wilma. Am I being too fussy.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Clay tiles

Bill,

Are you referring to what looks like insufficient head lap?

Or that the tile profiles are different and do not match up under the old tiles correctly (or the tile profile is the same and they were just laid poorly)?

Either is a problem.

Most likely, they had a 'quickie' 'roofer' come through their neighborhood making those "repairs", probably unlicensed, probably no permit, and no inspection. Homeowner probably also pocketed the extra cash from their in$urance company and bought a new large screen plasma TV too.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 09-04-2007 at 08:05 PM. Reason: to get rid of the auto link for the word 'in$urance'
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

william siegel Guest

Jerry,

I am referring to the head laps. Those tiles are actually the same make and manufacturer as the origianl tiles.

Well......... if that was my house.... I'd want it done properly.

Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

Quote Originally Posted by william siegel View Post
    Those tiles are actually the same make and manufacturer as the origianl tiles.
    Yeah, I thought those newer ones looked like the same Venezuelan clay tiles. I wasn't sure if they were just laid incorrectly or if their profile was larger. Just laid incorrectly, then.

If I recall correctly, those can have a little as a 2" headlap when foamed down or mortared down. Either way, there is an exception which allows for less than 3" headlap when the design of the tile does not allow for a 3" headlap (in which case it must be as much as the design allows for).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com