Default Home Guage on a Mac

Has anybody been running Home Guage software on a Mac? Aren't there converting programs that allow you to do so? I need a new computer, and I'm thinking about making the leap into the Apple world, thinking that eventually the syncing between iPhone, IPad, and Mac will help with efficiency. Any help/ideas would be appreciated!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    John Thompson
    Shelter Works Home Inspections, LLC
    Missoula, MT

Default Re: Home Guage on a Mac

HomeGauge is not compatible with Mac at this time. However they just came out with an Andriod version called "Homegauge Companion". It's been out for just a few weeks. You can use it with any Android smart phone or tablet. I have not tried it, but have been reading the posts on the HomeGauge forum about it.

Right now I just use a laptop in the field and then do the final report at home on a desktop. One cool new feature with HG is the "cloud services" you can simply upload the report to the cloud from a laptop or Android devise and then pull it back down to desktop back at home to finish and finalize the report, not more transferring report files manually.

Mac is capable of running Windows with Boot Camp a Mac application which would allow you to run Home Gauge.

Mac 101: Using Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Mac is capable of running Windows with Boot Camp a Mac application which would allow you to run Home Gauge.

Mac 101: Using Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp
    I stand corrected, good idea Raymond. Now that you mentioned it I have seen that on the HG forum.

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Has anybody been running Home Guage software on a Mac? Aren't there converting programs that allow you to do so? I need a new computer, and I'm thinking about making the leap into the Apple world, thinking that eventually the syncing between iPhone, IPad, and Mac will help with efficiency. Any help/ideas would be appreciated!
    Besides Bootcamp, there are two other options that don't require you to reboot your Mac. Parallels is a commercial product that emulates a PC in a window, but requires you to purchase a Windows license as well as the program. Virtual box is free, but also requires a Windows license. A third option is also a commercial product called Crossover, and merely runs Windows software, but doesn't require a windows license. However not all software works in this environment. (BTW I'm a DYI'er not a HI, but am an Apple computer tech.)

I have a crazy idea, use a PC.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Once you go over to Mac its unlikely one would go back to a PC.
    Its a much more friendly intuitive operating system.

Yeah, sounds like it.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

General question - can a PC emulate a Mac via built in software?

General question - can a PC emulate a Mac via built in software?
    General question
    Why would it want to?

Lets see, how did Sheldon say it, Oh yeah.
    What are the most mundane jobs in the world
    An Apple store genius
    A toll booth attendant
    And what Penny does.

The Big Bang Theory - Sheldon - Apple Store "Genius" - YouTube

I have been a Mac user since the 80's. I was forced to use a Windows PC when I started using Inspectvue. Lots of Windows issues, and LOTS of "Dell" issues.

When I needed to replace my laptop, I decided to buy a Macbook Pro and use Parallels to run Windows. The reason I went with Parallels instead of BootCamp is because with Parallels, I can switch back and forth between Windows and Mac OS without closing one of them first.

Inspectvue runs just like its on a Windows computer.

If you have other Mac products and you want to seamlessly sync them all, then go with a Mac and run Parallels.

Rick

That's about as much as I would expect given it's apparent you know nothing about what I asked.

Rick

That's about as much as I would expect given it's apparent you know nothing about what I asked.
    I think I must have touched a nerve.

This might get fun.

At least when you call Apple support, you:
    1. Get someone that speaks English (as a native language)
    2. Your on hold times are much shorter.
    3. They actually will solve your problem, or answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    At least when you call Apple support, you:
    1. Get someone that speaks English (as a native language)
    2. Your on hold times are much shorter.
    3. They actually will solve your problem, or answer your questions.
    I have not had to call support

I have a 2007 MacBook and run HomeGauge using VMWare Fusion, similar to Parallels. It required buying Windows 7. It works well.

I tried, but I just can't let this drop, not when I'm just starting to have a little fun.

For all of you Wild and Crazy Apple guys out there.
    Siri on Raj's iPhone 4S - The Big Bang Theory - YouTube

Since I'm on a roll, might as well include.

Apple Parody - YouTube

Fusion. Once you go Mac you never go back!

As this Thread has been reactivated.

I've ran both systems, and it's more of what you are use to. ( currently running Windows Based System.)

Now you can get most any Windows Applications compatible Mac software ( costly ) but available.

Just much more types of software at low or no cost for Windows based systems.

If you are a little more than a very casual Windows user Mac has Zero advantages with 4 times the operating cost, ( laptop, printer, software.)

Mac has given Schools at all grade levels equipment which will develop market share for their innovated OP.

Windows is an antiquated DOS based system. Much like an inverted pyramid, top heavy and it's a constant balancing act to keep everything going.( but they keep patching.)

Use what you are comfortable with as each has it's strengths and weaknesses.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Zero advantages? How about it doesn't crash. I'll pay money for something that works well. Windows is not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    Zero advantages? How about it doesn't crash. I'll pay money for something that works well. Windows is not for me.
    Steve,

If Mac Op works for you that's great. But they do crash https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3722085

If it's man made it will break. And yes You Will Pay Money,( usually a Lot More.)

Windows was first accepted by the business community and is a more mature OP.

Mac the PC and Graphic Arts communtities.

Be Well,

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I don't use Homegauge but a fellow HI who posts here once in a while does. He runs HG on both his Mac machines using Parallels and has no complaints about it.
    I use Parallels on my Macbook Pro for IR software and it's fine. Years ago the dual platform use didn't work well but seems to run great these days.
    If looking at a new Mac laptop ... Retina display nice but, eh. Don't know that I would buy it again. I would however recommend the SSD drive over the regular drive. Great upgrade, super fast, very nice to have over the old hard drive type.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Just get inspection software that runs natively on a Mac

Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software & Home Inspection Website Hosting
    Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!