Walker Haglock Guest

Default Direct vent flue location

What do you make of a direct vent PVC flue routed out the side of the home, but located inside of the cold air return? I wrote it up for several reasons, but mainly as a safety hazard. If that PVC joint hidden inside the cold air ever gets compromised, the carbon monoxide and other hot gases go right back into the system for re-distribution throughout the home.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Direct vent flue location

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Garry Blankenship Guest

No authority in this area, but I think you did well by your client. The possibility of CO leakage is worthy of advisement, regardless of the codes and the mere presence of PVC inside breathable air chambers is another concern. If it's not a code violation, it should be.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Walker Haglock View Post
    What do you make of a direct vent PVC flue routed out the side of the home, but located inside of the cold air return? I wrote it up for several reasons, but mainly as a safety hazard. If that PVC joint hidden inside the cold air ever gets compromised, the carbon monoxide and other hot gases go right back into the system for re-distribution throughout the home.
    Not permitted. Shall not means no.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009 IRC

M1801.8 Duct penetrations. Chimneys, vents and vent connectors shall not extend into or through supply and return air ducts or plenums.