Thread: CSST gas pipe

Default CSST gas pipe

I am concerned about this installation. I looked through the manual http://www.gastite.com/include/langu..._D+I_Guide.pdf and can't find the right section. What concerns me is the vibration of both ducts on line and contact with metal ducts. I have read this manual before and am convinced that none of the installations I see are done properly particularly the bonding requirements. What do you think, am I overthinking this?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Default Re: CSST gas pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    I am concerned about this installation. I looked through the manual http://www.gastite.com/include/langu..._D+I_Guide.pdf and can't find the right section. What concerns me is the vibration of both ducts on line and contact with metal ducts. I have read this manual before and am convinced that none of the installations I see are done properly particularly the bonding requirements. What do you think, am I overthinking this?

Lots of discussions on this on the web. If you get a hot wire in contact with that metal duct somewhere and the CSST has a torn jacket close to the duct it will arc and could cause a hole in the gas pipe. Nearby lightning can cause an arc that could go through the jacket too. Did you see additional bonding on the main pipe? If that were my house I would add bonding in several places including the metal ducts. I have see evidence of arcs jumping from a washer to a dryer that were six inches apart and properly installed etc due to lightning so its a real issue.

Something to this effect is present in some of the CSST installation guidelines: Care should be taken when installing CSST runs to maintain as much separation as reasonably possible from other electrically conductive systems in the building.

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

Tom, You can't overthink what could happen to a subgrade gas pipe!
    CSST is to plumbing what congress is to america.
    A big coil of subgrade product that sounds like it is saving you money,
    but is actually robbing you blind.
    oops, foot in mouth again?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

T.R.

Rather than go on and on about multiple things, I'll start with three simple, important, questions:

Where is this furnace located?

Is that gas furnace vented (exhaust) via metalic flue (vent, liner) through the roof?

Do you see the nick in the flame retardant treated sheath where this CSST is pulled around the site-constructed ducting?

A wider view confirming would be appreciated.

H.G.W.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 04-14-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Cool Re: CSST gas pipe

I rarely find gas leaks on CSST installations and then I only find them at the mechanical couplings. I don't find these supposedly ominous points of contact where everyone thinks they will cut through.

I find gas leaks every day on Sch. 40 steel pipe installations at the ground unions, old style gas cocks and where they used merchant couplings. It is quite rare that I don't find gas leaks on Sch. 40 steel piping jobs.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

There are a few different makers of CSST. If you think you have an installation problem with it, it's important to know which brand you are dealing with because the manufactures instructions are not identical for all. For instance, in the Gastite manual it specifically mentions proximity to other metal components.

See page 55 (59 of the PDF) document with respect to horizontal runs.

http://www.gastite.com/include/langu..._D+I_Guide.pdf

Here's one part that could be applicable, from page 66:

"When appliances such as water heaters, furnaces or fireplaces have

metallic vents which extend beyond or protrude through the roof

physical contact between the Gastite

® CSST and the appliance

cabinet or vent is prohibited."

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    Here's one part that could be applicable, from page 66:

"When appliances such as water heaters, furnaces or fireplaces have

metallic vents which extend beyond or protrude through the roof

physical contact between the Gastite

® CSST and the appliance

cabinet or vent is prohibited."
    That's a good one too. I'm sure we can nail a few on that.

Like I said, I have on file links to installation manuals for TracPipe, Wardflex and Gastite. I make sure to identify whatever brands of CSST are present. Then, I reference those specific manufacturers documents when reporting on issues.

Do this my fellow inspectors because codes are behind with regard to this stuff. Additionally, the manufacturers inst are more stringent anyway. They vary too. Manufacturer listed bonding requirements are not even the same with all brands of CSST.

I know it's all the same stuff but being specific to the manufacturer and their specific inst is important in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Do this my fellow inspectors because codes are behind with regard to this stuff. Additionally, the manufacturers inst are more stringent anyway.
    Codes are not behind because the codes refer to the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Also, not all manufacturer's installation instructions are more stringent than the codes for all things, which is why the codes say to install in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions *and* the code - *both* are applicable, and the most restrictive applies.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com