Ronna Allen Guest

Smile How many tons is my Trane?

I have a Trane XE1000 that is about 10 years old. It still works fine but I am adding a room to my house and I need to know how many tons my heat pump is and about how many square feet it will heat and cool. The model number is TWR036C100A4 the serial number is R025LG34F. Can anyone help me with this information? Thanks!!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: How many tons is my Trane?

Based on the model #, it is a 3 ton unit. As to how many square feet it will handle depends on your area of the county. Up here is SE Pennsylvania, one ton of capacity handles approximately 700 square feet of interior living space (3 tons + 2100 square feet). The square footage number per ton may be lower as your summers in Alabama are hotter than ours.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Up here is SE Pennsylvania, one ton of capacity handles approximately 700 square feet of interior living space (3 tons + 2100 square feet). The square footage number per ton may be lower as your summers in Alabama are hotter than ours.
    Down in South Florida, roughly about 500 sf per ton, up here in Ormond Beach, roughly 600 sf per ton.

However, if your house has been cooling and heating acceptibly well, then you will need to add another 1 ton unit to the house for that room (or replace the 3 ton with a 4 ton and keep it all on one zone).

The above said, though, the only way to know for sure is to have a load calculation done as that takes in the orientation of the house, the insulation in the walls, ceilings, crawlspace, size and type of windows and doors, type of duct work, etc., all of which makes sizing based on tonnage just a guessing game.

How many sf is your living space now? Using your current living space sf and the 3 ton unit as a base, you can do a quick calculation and come up with a guess as to what the sf per ton of your house is now. Then take the total of the living space now, add on the addition, then do the math again, you will get a guesstimate as to what the tonnage may be for the total with the new addition.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bob Spermo Guest

While using a square footage per ton calculation may in fact work it is contrary to codes like the IRC and IEEC. They both require that proper HVAC load calculations be done. I have seen 1 ton more than adequately cool 1200 sq ft (foam insulation).