Thread: Almost EIFS

Default Almost EIFS

Exteriors of pre-cast concrete foundation walls were covered in a foam with what looks like a spray application of a hard coat. It almost looks like the foam was sprayed on also. (6 years old) The hard coat is cracking, blistering in large areas, then popping. First time I've seen this application. I guess it is an external insulation finish system but it doesn't look like and EIFS application I've seen. Looks like moisture popping off the finish. Who or what would be a reasonable recommend for repair?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Default Re: Almost EIFS

It is extremely rare to see sprayed-on closed cell foam for EIFS, but not unheard of. I've seen it once in 15 years of doing EIFS inspections. It is unclear as to whether it is open of closed cell foam, and the manufacturer of the foam and system finish are unknown. I personally do not recommend repairs of any kind; even when I know (at least one of the ways) how something should be repaired.

If the house were mine I would scrape it off and put a durable cladding on it.

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Stephen G Guest

Shouldnt there be a gap between the ground and the EIFS to prevent wicking up moisture and creating exactly what we see?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
    Shouldnt there be a gap between the ground and the EIFS to prevent wicking up moisture and creating exactly what we see?
    My thoughts as well and reported as such.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

I have seen something similar, but it was not EIFS but instead EPS foam that was from ICF forms. They are the foam forms for pouring foundation walls. You could actually dig down slightly below the grade, and if they continue down, then they are most probably ICF foam forms left on the exterior that someone decided to leave on and stucco over. If there is any access on the interior of the foundation, you may be able to verify them by viewing the interior foam of the same ICF form. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by chris viscomi View Post
    I have seen something similar, but it was not EIFS but instead EPS foam that was from ICF forms. They are the foam forms for pouring foundation walls. You could actually dig down slightly below the grade, and if they continue down, then they are most probably ICF foam forms left on the exterior that someone decided to leave on and stucco over. If there is any access on the interior of the foundation, you may be able to verify them by viewing the interior foam of the same ICF form. Just a guess.
    Pre-cast concrete foundation walls probably set on a gravel foundation.

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Foam in the dirt is an open invitation for carpenter ants. They love warm foam. If there's any moisture behind the foam, even better for the WDI's.
    Aaron is correct. It should be removed, at least enough to expose the concrete around the bottom.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Stephen Meyer Guest

It is not eifs. this is not a system installed.