Default Why the Metal Posts to support what?

Help me out here, I don't see what this is supporting and why, kitchen is above the posts and the supporting part above the post is nailed to the Engineered I-Type joists. Looks strange to me and this is new contruction that is all done. The load bearing walls are about 5' both directions. These are 2X14 I-Type Joists.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa

John Benson Guest

Default Re: Why the Metal Posts to support what?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hagman View Post
    Help me out here, I don't see what this is supporting and why, kitchen is above the posts and the supporting part above the post is nailed to the Engineered I-Type joists. Looks strange to me and this is new contruction that is all done. The load bearing walls are about 5' both directions. These are 2X14 I-Type Joists.
    Looks like a point load support. Would't be trying to support Granite or Concrete counter tops would it? Hard to tell without knowing what is directly above it.

Dan,

I agree with John, appears to be for one super heavy load just above the post.

If its a new house have the builder explain why it there if you can't.

Randy Mayo, P.E.
    Residential Engineering & Inspection Services
    http://www.rlmengineers.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Benson View Post
    Looks like a point load support. Would't be trying to support Granite or Concrete counter tops would it? Hard to tell without knowing what is directly above it.
    Yes John, there is Granite counter top above so maybe it is a point load support. The posts are on the left end the a load bearing wall is on the right end of the island. Sounds to me like that would be it and makes sense. Thanks

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa

John Benson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hagman View Post
    Yes John, there is Granite counter top above so maybe it is a point load support. The posts are on the left end the a load bearing wall is on the right end of the island. Sounds to me like that would be it and makes sense. Thanks
    Just an observation, If the I-Joist cannot support the load of the Island above, contractor probably should have done a drop beam under the joists (for the length of the island) and installed squash blocks above as per I-joist manufactures instructions. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by John Benson View Post
    Just an observation, If the I-Joist cannot support the load of the Island above, contractor probably should have done a drop beam under the joists (for the length of the island) and installed squash blocks above as per I-joist manufactures instructions. Just my opinion.
    I totally agree and wondered that myself, why support in one pin-point spot when a beam could have been used. Local municipal inspector passed it the way it is also. Your sugggestion is a better one. Thanks

Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa

The I-joists might be strong enough to support the granite. The builder may have just wanted a "belt and suspenders" approach.

post needs to be secured properly if it is used!

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Being new construction, this mod likely was engineer designed or approved. No need to second-guess the engineer. The CI would have approved based on the engineer letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Roberts View Post
    Being new construction, this mod likely was engineer designed or approved. No need to second-guess the engineer. The CI would have approved based on the engineer letter.
    Maybe I'm wrong and it was designed by an engineer, but I do not think an engineer would specify bent over nails as a means to secure the post to the blocking.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.