charlessgold Guest

Default is a license required to do my own remodel wor.?

can I act as my own contractor to do my own remodeling or repair work or new construction repair work for example termite damage.??, not sure, in san jose, ca

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: is a license required to do my own remodel wor.?

In many areas of the country you are allowed to be your own contractor.
    As long as you own the house
    Some areas may also require that you also live in the house for a year (some 2 years) after the work is finished.
    Still other areas do not allow non contractors to perform work that should be done by a licensed contractor.
    To know what your area requirements are contact your local building inspections department. Tell them what you want to do.
    I advise not to do any work without the proper permits, doing so can cost you a very lot of money.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by charlessgold View Post
    can I act as my own contractor to do my own remodeling or repair work or new construction repair work for example termite damage.??, not sure, in san jose, ca
    Based on your first post on the forum, it is evident you do not have that ability.

Garry Blankenship Guest

It is a local jurisdictional call. The few I have exposure to allow it, but all require permits. As warmly pointed out, being allowed to do it and being able to do it are usually different matters.

Why not call the local building dept. and ask them, instead of getting guesses on an internet forum?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Why not call the local building dept. and ask them, instead of getting guesses on an internet forum?
    He's been told that on the two other topic discussions he started, one in february, and the other the same time he posted this one (this post is one of two nearly-identical - title only different - duplicate posts from the same day).

Apparently he doesn't like their answer, or is resisting making contact with them. (If you read his first post back in February - you may glean why that may be).

Same day (clickable link): http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-question.html

Last February (clickable link): http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...onversion.html

H.G.,
    Maybe he thinks like calling the IRS you will get a different answer each time you ask the same question.