Default City's water conservancy initiative

A California city's water conservancy initiative requires that a 'low-flow toilet verification form' be signed by any one of: a licensed plumber, licensed architect, licensed general contractor or ASHI/CREIA home inspector be provided for all residential real estate transactions. I would like opinions regarding such requests by AHJ's and under what conditions such requests may be perceived as a conflict of interest. I've spoken with attorneys and insurance carriers that say that although this is convenient for inspectors to do for their clients, it is unprecedented in California that our profession be required to act as a functionary of escrow and may embolden AHJ's require inspectors to verify any condition or requirement: safety glazing where required, seismic strapping, auto-reverse of garage door openers, unsafe wiring, etc. My question is not that we site these things as is so why not share the info (no good deed ever goes unpunished), my question is that this is a new development for me during some inspections and I'm curious what others have experienced.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: City's water conservancy initiative

There was a similar thread on here some time back.
    Anyhow it required testing/ certifying low flow shower heads before a home sale..
    I'll see if I can find it.

But I don't really see a problem with the requirement.
    Sounds like more buyers will need to have an inspection.
    What are you complaining about?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Thanks. My issue is subtle...that in California where home inspectors are not licensed, we are being told to sign a city document (agents will not get licensed contactors to sign it) which is unprecedented. That's the hitch. Whether its a convenience for our clients, 'helps' streamline escrow requirements, is good for the planet, is the nice thing to do...it is still unprecedented. My next thought is what this new interest in city enforcement means to our profession. Some lawyers see an issue of as yet indeterminate significance (as does my insurance carrier) and so I'm curious what the inspection community feels about it. This may not be the right venue, I don't know.

I would be happy if my area would past some sort of requirement that before a home can be sold it must first past some form of inspection that I provide. I would be all for it.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Around here in SoCal, most sellers or buyers use a "Retrofitting" company to verify this stuff. LoFlo toilets, shower heads, smoke (and now CO) detectors etc. I specifically exclude it and point to the retrofit contractor.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Garry Blankenship Guest

Water conservation is an admirable goal. As it relates to inspections, I'd say don't go there. Low flow toilets, shower heads, etc, are in reality little more than manufacturing market opportunity. A toilet that must be flushed twice or more saves how much water ? Shower heads can be replaced or modified in maybe 5 minutes ? Prohibition does not work, but education and public consciousness does.

How about the fact that many using water restricting showers spend 3 times longer in the shower.

Thanks all for chiming in...I was curious if others had been asked to sign anything from a third party that served to verify conditions on-site. I don't...and will not.