Default Phx Area early 1900's home

As an inspector, I feel spoiled to be working in the Phoenix area, 99% of our homes were built in the last 50 years (just IMHO). An agent friend of mine asked if I know someone who has experience inspecting homes built around 1910. Suggestions? Thanks! (I was honest and told her I have not done one this old, it would be fun to inspect, but she is looking for someone who has done several this age.) very limited time offer.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Default Re: Phx Area early 1900's home

Dave,

I suspect your Realtor friend is going to have a hard time finding someone who has done a couple of homes from that time period. (we just don't have that many homes that age to inspect)

I have done a couple of homes from the 30's. However, I may only get one every couple of years. It may be another 10 years before I see a house from the 1910 time period.

I suggest you go ahead and inspect the house but get another inspector to work with you on the house. You can almost predict what you are going to find before you get there. (outdated wiring and electrical panel, old water pipes, no insulation in the attic, asbestos shingles roof, inaccessible crawl space, water heater on the outside of the house, etc.)

Part of the problem that I run into, is that no one wants to pay you a high fee for doing such a small house. They tend to think you will be done with everything in one or two hours. Not true.

If you get the chance, do the inspection. It will take a lot of time to do, but it will be a great learning experience.

Jeff Euriech
    Peoria Arizona

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

I was already jealous of you AZ folks for the lack of crawl spaces, nice weather and great golf (all year long, of course). Now, you tell me don't have any old dump houses? That's it.... I'm packing my bags.

I just couldn't imagine a week without a couple 100 years old dumpers. We have some real special ones in certain parts of town. They're 80-100 years old and tend to run about 800 sqft. The real kicker is to get to that 800q they've had 4 additions put on... and there's usually at least 12" of clearance in the crawl space, no vapor barrier and it's been used as a litter box by the 100 or so stray cats the neighbor next door is feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I was already jealous of you AZ folks for the lack of crawl spaces, nice weather and great golf (all year long, of course). Now, you tell me don't have any old dump houses? That's it.... I'm packing my bags.

I just couldn't imagine a week without a couple 100 years old dumpers. We have some real special ones in certain parts of town. They're 80-100 years old and tend to run about 800 sqft. The real kicker is to get to that 800q they've had 4 additions put on... and there's usually at least 12" of clearance in the crawl space, no vapor barrier and it's been used as a litter box by the 100 or so stray cats the neighbor next door is feeding.
    Lots of old crawlspace shacks are down in Tombstone, where they stage the gunfights.
    You'd actually want to trade rolling in cat turds for rattlesnakes and scorpions? Well, yeah, I can see that.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

hi guys,

thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.
    Dave

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com