Edward Rodriguez Guest

Default Smelly Plumbing!!!

Hello Somebody,

Today I had a duplex inspection where the the plumbing had been upgraded to copper and joined with polyethylene to supply the two units. When doing a functional flow test in both units it smelled like sewer gases or a rotten egg smell . Funny thing was that all p-traps were installed properly, proper vent termination above the roof surfaces and the smell was only emitted during the functional flow test. Whats the deal

Your prompt response is greatly appreciated

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Smelly Plumbing!!!

I bet it was well water right? Hydrogen sulfide. Hydrogen Sulfide in Drinking Water, AEX-319-97

Water can sometimes get an odor like you describe from a water heater.
    Google smelly water

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Edward Rodriguez Guest

Cool Re: Smelly Plumbing!!!

One of the units had a newer water heater...still had that smell. I believe the units have been vacant for a while. Anyways, what would be the proper narative to use.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Rodriguez View Post
    One of the units had a newer water heater...still had that smell. I believe the units have been vacant for a while. Anyways, what would be the proper narative to use.

Thanks again
    Bacteria in the water.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It's pretty common here and where I grew up in PA. We just called is sulfur water. Both areas had natural springs around. There may be other factors at your location, but in general it was not a big deal apart from smelling bad. As John said, it shows up on well water. I've never come across it on a municipal supply. They can probably treat it with a softener or something, but most people just lived with it.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

If it did not smell when the cold water was running but it did when the hot water was on then it is the water heater. Anode rod is being eaten by little critters that then fart hydrogen sulfide gas! Remove the rod, flush the tank replace with a new anode rod and it should be fine.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com