Default What am I looking at? (Electrical component identification question)

This device (picture 1) was located in a box to the side of a load-side panel in a basement - the box in which it was mounted is to the left of the load-side panel in pictures 2 & 3.

(The odd "stain" at the left hand side of the second and third pictures is an artifact introduced when I pulled up a shadowed area in Photoshop.)

Identification?

Function?

Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Robert Meier Guest

Default Re: What am I looking at? (Electrical component identification question)

It looks like a 4-pole contactor. Nothing more than a fancy electrically operated 4-pole switch.

Garry Blankenship Guest

Default Re: What am I looking at? (Electrical component identification question)

It's a 30 or 40 amp rated, ( too much strobe light ), relay or contactor, ( I've forgotten what discriminates one from the other ). Regardless an electic coil operated control device. Often used to start & stop a motor, but it can control any electrical device within it's maximum allowable amperage limits, ( outside lights, a gate motor, a central vac system, a heater, or ? ). There will be some control wires involved that go to some push buttons, a switch, a photo-cell or some other remote control device, ( in this case obviously not wireless ).

There *is* a central vac installed at this property...

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

This data sheet from Potter & Brumfield decodes the specs (P30P49...)

http://documents.tycoelectronics.com...=DS&DocLang=EN

It is a old (Siemens* owned Potter & Brumfield for years) definite purpose DP contactor, if you look at the label notice the RU & the lack of a UL symbol it's a UL recognized component of UL listed equipment, it is not UL listed.

* Not sure if they still still do.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Its marked AMF that's the pre-Siemens owner of P & B, which coincides with the '83 mfg date stamp of the recognized componant.

Hey M.T., did the property have multiple sump pumps? an ejector for the basement? a water treatment system? private water supply/Pressure tank or If public supply, only available within the last two decades? If no, then I'd best-guess can't trace a wire via pic - go with the central vac.

Mag contactor, as you indicated in your title, yep, its just a recognized componant (likely after-warranty or after-original application replacement sourced gray market part).

Edited to add:

P.S. I just slapped myself in the head when I (duh moment ) realized it was a 120 Vac coil. Ix-nay on the well pump/pressure tank question!

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 04-21-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: added post script after head self-slapping moment.

Lou Romano Guest

AMF? It must be for their personal in-house bowling alley

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Seriously AMF (1970-ish f/k/a American Machine and Foundry since 1900-ish) owned Potter & Brumfield until the hostle Jacobs/Minstar Inc. takeover in 1985 upon which AMF was busted up and assets immediately sold off. P&B was sold to Siemens and the "Bowling" Division was sold to a Virginia group.

AMF was into just about everything - from nuclear reactors to Harley Davidson, P & B, sports equipment, bicycles, bowling (1950s) & billards, and much more.

cuba_pete Guest

Best yet, it's made in the U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Seriously AMF (1970-ish f/k/a American Machine and Foundry since 1900-ish) owned Potter & Brumfield until the hostle Jacobs/Minstar Inc. takeover in 1985 upon which AMF was busted up and assets immediately sold off. P&B was sold to Siemens and the "Bowling" Division was sold to a Virginia group.

AMF was into just about everything - from nuclear reactors to Harley Davidson, P & B, sports equipment, bicycles, bowling (1950s) & billards, and much more.

I hope they were better at making electrical components than they were at making motorcycles.

Galen L. Beasley
    Inspections Supervisor
    Housing Authority of Kansas City MO

One good way to screw up a Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by bob smit View Post
    One good way to screw up a Harley.

What do Harley & a German Shepard have in common?

They both like to ride in the back of pickup trucks.

Returning to the original topic......