Default Joist Bearing Question

In the American Forest & Paper Association's Prescriptive Residential Wood
    Deck Construction Guide, which they claim is based on the 2009 International Residential Code, they list 3 acceptable methods for providing bearing to joists used on exterior decks.

Two methods have the joist bearing directly on top of the beam and the third is metal joist hangers. The first pic below is from their Guide. I cannot find anything
    that specific in the IRC.

In general I am wondering where the section they are using to support their opinion is. Specifically, I am wondering what the current concensus is on the use of wood ledger strips to provide bearing for joists on exterior decks. See the second pic below. Sorry the pic is poor quality because the deck is located on the side of a mountain and I was standing about 30 feet below in heavy fog while taking the picture.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Joist Bearing Question

R502.6.2 Joist Framing. Joists framing into the side of a wood girder shall be supported by approved framing anchors or on ledger strips not less than nominal 2 inches by 2 inches.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Thanks for the reply...is there anywhere that distinguishes any differences in what's allowed between interior and exterior (as in exposed to the weather)floor systems?

R502.2.2-R502.2.2.4 deals specifically with decks, but it does not get anywhere detailed as the AF&PA deck guide. The AF&PA is referenced by the IRC & is considered as applicable.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402