Default Return air vs. dryer vent

Anyone have a reference that stipulates the limitations of a dryer vent passing through a return air box/compartment (typically in a garage under a FAU)?
    Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Return air vs. dryer vent

As you know, California has not adopted Chapter 16 or Chapter 18 of the IRC in their version of the IRC (Title 24, Part 2.5). If they had I'd point you to Chapter 16,

Suggest you refer to California's Title 24, Part 4, which would/should address your question regarding construction of return air ducts and/or plenums, paying special attention to floor location and when installed outside the R3 occupancy. Mentions also regarding air quality, ventillation, and consideration of a mechanical draft system operating under other than strictly natural drafting if gas clothes dryer, since same wouldn't be strictly a natural drafting appliance would it (havent visited the IAMPO Codes in the last few editions).
    Should also be specifics regarding Dryer exhaust ducts/(vents) and connectors.

And if applicable the Fuel Gas Codes.

You might also find information relative to dryer installations and maintenance thereof, in addition to the integrity of the occupancy separations required, in the Fire Code part of Tit. 24 as well, maintenance elements (?).

I suppose some further examination of a system penetration to the occupancy separation and impossiblity of sealing the return plenum in the garage could be cross referenced.

The garage area would still be a "U" occupancy, IIRC, and the dwelling a R-3,

HTH.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 04-21-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Marc,

Hope this isn't too late for your needs.

I believe the following may be the current, universal (exhaust ducts for gas or electric domestic clothes dryers), applicable citation you were soliciting. The following expressly prohibits the condition you found, i.e. the routing of the dryer duct through the return air plenum (under the floor/platform of the) AHU or furnace.

2010 California Mechanical Code (Title 24, Part 4); 504.3.1, last sentance.

"Clothes dryer moisture exhaust ducts shall not extend into or through ducts or plenums."

The subsection reads:

504.3.1 Moisture Exhaust Ducts. Moisture exhaust ducts for domestic clothes dryers shall terminate on the outside of the building and shall be equipped with a back-draft damper. Screens shall not be installed at the duct termination. Ducts for exhausting clothes dryers shall not be connected or installed with sheet metal screws or other fasteners that will obstruct the flow. Clothes dryer moisture exhaust ducts shall not be connected to a gas vent connector, gas vent or chimney. Clothes dryer moisture exhaust ducts shall not extend into or through ducts or plenums.

I haven't checked for errata, or personally consulted a confirmed unadulterated/unamended finalized edition.

HTH.

I was looking through your suggested resources listed above but didnt see what I was looking for so I just downloaded the 2010 CMC about an hour ago and located that same paragraph you copied here. I do, however, appreciate you taking your time to find it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Marc,

Hope this isn't too late for your needs.

I believe the following may be the current, universal (exhaust ducts for gas or electric domestic clothes dryers), applicable citation you were soliciting. The following expressly prohibits the condition you found, i.e. the routing of the dryer duct through the return air plenum (under the floor/platform of the) AHU or furnace.

2010 California Mechanical Code (Title 24, Part 4); 504.3.1, last sentance.

"Clothes dryer moisture exhaust ducts shall not extend into or through ducts or plenums."

The subsection reads:

[/size][/size]

I haven't checked for errata, or personally consulted a confirmed unadulterated/unamended finalized edition.

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I was looking through your suggested resources listed above but didnt see what I was looking for so I just downloaded the 2010 CMC about an hour ago and located that same paragraph you copied here. I do, however, appreciate you taking your time to find it for me.

OK. Please look at Chapter 15 (Exhaust Systems) of the IRC Codes. I like using the CURRENT VERSION of the IRC . Also the CURRENT VERSION of the IMC. I am probably wrtong here but even though certain cities have not "so called" adopted the current versions, I feel that safety is more important as the political garbage continues to hamper of what is correct. I clean, repair, re-route, and install dryer vents. I just hope the the franchise that I work for did not install that one in California. Do you have any pics??