Default Infrared IR vs Infrared Temp reader

I am curious of the difference between an expensive IR & an eco Temp Reader. It seems they were from the same principle. Why should we take an IR?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Infrared IR vs Infrared Temp reader

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    I am curious of the difference between an expensive IR & an eco Temp Reader. It seems they were from the same principle. Why should we take an IR?
    Guess you've never seen an infrared camera photo? Otherwise you would not ask that question.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

They both catch the temp discrepancy, donot they? It looks like IR pic is more obvious but still temps.

They both catch the temp discrepancy, donot they? It looks like IR pic is more obvious but still temps.
    You are correct that both are reading the same thing: the temperature of the surface it is aimed at.

That said, let's say you aim your IR thermometer at the ceiling and scanned the ceiling checking temperatures, trying to do that, read the thermometer reading, and trying no to miss any place on the ceiling, and then trying to go back and re-check a specific spot you want to compare to another specific spot and ... well, not only do you not know where the first specific spot is, but you've now lost the second specific spot you wanted to compare ... and think of doing that over and over and over the entire ceiling ... and then trying to explain what you found to yourself, much less to your client, and ...

Compare that to in infrared camera image you can snap of photo of and review at your leisure, comparing anyplace to anyplace else to try to figure out what you are looking at ... the visual representation of the entire ceiling is right there, unlike the IR thermometer where you have to try to remember what was where and how much different it was and ...

To me, it is like looking into a dark attic and trying to determine what is there, versus turning the light on and actually seeing what is there, and some of the infrared camera have a resolution equivalent to using a 1 million candlepower light in the attic - okay, what did you see in that dark attic with no light?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry

very detailed description & comparison. If in this case, Temp reader is good to locate spots easy to get moisture behind.

If in this case, Temp reader is good to locate spots easy to get moisture behind.
    No where as good as an infrared camera as the IR thermometer is only as good as its cone of influence (i.e., produces an average temperature from all areas within the reading area, and that average can hide many areas), whereas the infrared camera is showing you each each as a point in the area, not averaging all the points together.

Let's say you have a smaller area of 55 degrees within the larger area being read with the IR thermometer, and the other areas around that smaller area are all 85 degrees, will you 'see' that smaller 55 degree area? Nope. It will be averaged away and disappear into a lower overall reading.

The infrared camera will show you that small area of 55 degrees, and you can even see its outline in size and shape.

Not trying to sell you on infrared cameras, just trying to explain why the IR thermometer is no comparison for the purpose of the infrared camera. The IR thermometer does have its used, albeit limited uses.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I have never found moisture problems with an IR thermometer in the 15+ years I have been using one, but I have with an IR camera. I have even found more moisture problems with a Tramex moisture meter!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

And if you do find something with the IR, you should double-check it with the Tramex!

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Terry Clayton Guest

Thanks Jerry

very detailed description & comparison. If in this case, Temp reader is good to locate spots easy to get moisture behind.
    Peter using a spot temp only gives you a spot temp, determining that spot temp is moisture would require destructive investigation to determine the origin of the temp anomaly where an IR image can provide a clearer understanding of what the anomaly might be, A cold spot on the wall could be from many sources besides moisture, the IR image will provide patterns that a trained thermographer will be able to read and possibly provide you with information that would prevent you from tearing up walls or ceiling looking in the wrong areas for the problem.

I know it's an older thread but wanted to put in my 2 cents.

Let's suppose an average IR camera with an image resolution of 320X240 pixels. Each pixel represents the temperature as seen with an IR thermometer. It's like having 76800 IR thermometers looking at an object and transfer the reading into a bidimentional image.

Check out the New Fluke product, just came out - visual IR thermometer with a display screen and a photo capture feature. $899 and Canadians do not pay more for a change.

VT02 Visual IR Thermometer

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Are you contemplating buying one John?

No, I'm waiting to hear your review.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Shucks, I was hoping to spend your money first so I could get an honest review.