Default Black service entrance cable conduit

Saw this black service entrance cable conduit for an under ground electrical service the other day. It was coupled with gray conduit. I have never seen black conduit like this for a service entrance cable. anyone know what this is? Had no markings on it. My concern is if it is not for exterior use what happens when UV deteriorates it. Thanks for any input.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Black service entrance cable conduit

Why are you concerned with something that belongs to the utility?

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Garry Blankenship Guest

In my neighborhood the customer supplies the first 10' of the riser. No idea about the black. Some kind of tape covering I assume, but not a clue why. Doesn't look like there is any coupling on the bottom, but hard to tell.

Wasn't taped and homeowner supplies service connection up until utility connection in this area. Thanks guys.

Robert Meier Guest

Looks like it might be High Density Polyethylene Conduit.

ARTICLE 353 High Density Polyethylene Conduit: Type HDPE Conduit
    I. General
    353.1 Scope.
    This article covers the use, installation, and construction specifications for high density polyethylene (HDPE) conduit and associated fittings.
    FPN: Refer to Article 352 for Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride Conduit: Type PVC and Article 355 for Reinforced Thermosetting Resin Conduit: Type RTRC.
    353.2 Definition.
    A nonmetallic raceway of circular cross section, with associated couplings, connectors, and fittings for the installation of electrical conductors.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    Looks like it might be High Density Polyethylene Conduit.
    353.12 Uses Not Permitted.
    HDPE conduit shall not be used under the following conditions:
    (1) Where exposed
    (2) Within a building
    (3) In any hazardous (classified) location, except as permitted by other articles in this Code
    (4) Where subject to ambient temperatures in excess of 50°C (122°F) unless listed otherwise
    (5) For conductors or cables operating at a temperature higher than the HDPE conduit listed operating temperature rating
    Exception: Conductors or cables rated at a temperature higher than the HDPE conduit listed temperature rating shall be permitted to be installed in HDPE conduit, provided they are not operated at a temperature higher than the HDPE conduit listed temperature rating.

It is also not one of the types listed as suitable for use for protection from physical damage, which is likely why it was used.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry-

It is also not one of the types listed as suitable for use for protection from physical damage, which is likely why it was used?

Just for my information in what types of installation is HDPE used?

Thanks

Garry Blankenship Guest

Fiberglass ? The first photo shows an irregular surface. That is what led me to tape.

Ok. I now see what that is. Should have recognized HDPE. The coupling together of it had me thrown off. This installation is in a market that I have not worked in for some time and when I mentioned it at the inspection the realtor was not to pleased, which is why I think I haven't worked in this market for some time. Thanks all for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Latosky View Post
    Jerry-

It is also not one of the types listed as suitable for use for protection from physical damage, which is likely why it was used?

Just for my information in what types of installation is HDPE used?

Thanks
    Scott,

I don't recall ever having seen it used, and being as it is approved for direct burial in earth or concrete, that may be why.

- 353.10 Uses Permitted.
    - - The use of HDPE conduit shall be permitted under the following conditions:
    - - - (1) In discrete lengths or in continuous lengths from a reel
    - - - (2) In locations subject to severe corrosive influences as covered in 300.6 and where subject to chemicals for which the conduit is listed
    - - - (3) In cinder fill
    - - - (4) In direct burial installations in earth or concrete
    - - - - FPN to (4): Refer to 300.5 and 300.50 for underground installations.
    - - - (5) Above ground, except as prohibited in 353.12, where encased in not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete.
    - 353.12 Uses Not Permitted.
    - - HDPE conduit shall not be used under the following conditions:
    - - - (1) Where exposed
    - - - (2) Within a building
    - - - (3) In any hazardous (classified) location, except as permitted by other articles in this Code
    - - - (4) Where subject to ambient temperatures in excess of 50°C (122°F) unless listed otherwise
    - - - (5) For conductors or cables operating at a temperature higher than the HDPE conduit listed operating temperature rating
    - - - - Exception: Conductors or cables rated at a temperature higher than the HDPE conduit listed temperature rating shall be permitted to be installed in HDPE conduit, provided they are not operated at a temperature higher than the HDPE conduit listed temperature rating.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Regardless of who installed the conduit, if it is on the utility pole than it is utility owned.... unless the service point is located on the utility owned pole.
    Ut-oh, I said service point...

Terry Clayton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bob smit View Post
    Regardless of who installed the conduit, if it is on the utility pole than it is utility owned.... unless the service point is located on the utility owned pole.
    Ut-oh, I said service point...
    Would one suspect that the original installation was inspected prior to utility hooking up, around here if the utility found fault with the materials used they would have declined hooking the utility up, From the condition it does not appear to be a new installation, you did the right thing mentioning it in the report.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Looks like the HO couldn't find a replacement for the 20' piece of Utility Duct/Conduit (ex. Cantex) at the local hardware store, so they threw a piece of ABS.It wasn't there to protect from vehicle impact. Not transitioned correctly, need a bell end.Should keep the CATV and the Telco on the other side of the pole, in chase. Qustioned lightning ground to rod at base of pole doubtful - do I see broken strands between conduits at base?That's not a service "entrance" - that follows the lateral to the meter and first OCPD/disconnect. Might be first pole from the main street or highway - second one in likely customer reponsibility forward to pay for placement/replacement/damages.

That's certainly not ABS.
    And does, as someone mentioned above, appear to have a spun texture to it.
    I wonder if it is fiber glass.

Matt Faust
    Real Estate Inspector