Angry Inspection of vents in attic

I just finished doing some remodeling work on a clients house. In the attic from the top of the pull-down stairs I was able to see 2 of the 3 vents lines . It was clear they were not vented to the outside and neither is the 3rd. The Inspector noted only 2 things that needed attention , the air filter was dirty and the compressor will need occasional cleaning, NOTHING about this bath venting. This inspection was 4 years ago on a house that is only 12 years old. Is there any recourse that my client cant take or has it been too long?

Nick
    Aristocrat Home Inspections

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Inspection of vents in attic

The statute of limitations has likely transpired. But even then the cost to correct may not be worth going after given the likely low cost of improvement required.

"IF" it was visible, then ask him about it. But just because it was wrong does not mean he could have caught the issue. Was the attic full of storage, was there insulation covering the pipes, etc.
    But unless there is voluntary cooperation it will likely cost more to pursue the issue than to do the repair.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

The pipes were visible and sticking straight up about 2 feet, but thanks for the reply......

I'm sure there are Home Inspectors out there who don't think venting into the attic is a problem. That is why training and Continuing Education is important.

Now a question - Is there evidence of moisture or staining from the 3 exhaust vents? Is the staining old or new? Put it this way. If the previous residents never used the exhaust fans, there would have been no ill effects when the inspector did his thing.
    It is wrong, bad building practice and it should have been reported. But there are a lot of opinionated people out there selling their services.
    That is why training and Continuing Education is important and it should be mandatory.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Bad inspection, but you do not know circumstances at time of inspection.
    Going back to inspector is like going back to the county that signed off on the original building inspection. Just a wast of time.

They should be happy that you took notice and can correct it for them now. It just means that the house cost them a little more than the original purchased price. Not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Iascone View Post
    I just finished doing some remodeling work on a clients house. In the attic from the top of the pull-down stairs I was able to see 2 of the 3 vents lines . It was clear they were not vented to the outside and neither is the 3rd. The Inspector noted only 2 things that needed attention , the air filter was dirty and the compressor will need occasional cleaning, NOTHING about this bath venting. This inspection was 4 years ago on a house that is only 12 years old. Is there any recourse that my client cant take or has it been too long?

Nick
    Hi Nick, I see that you just received your home inspectors license back in March so you might not know that in TN we really do not have a limitation of liability written into our license law. Yes, that is a bummer! Our two ASHI Chapters in the state have been working on getting this changed down to 1-3 years for the past several years. What we do fall under is a contract law that limits liability to around 5 years.

If your client wants to make a claim then they need to notify the inspector of the problem. Put the ball in their court and see what they say and or offer to do. If they decide that they are not going to do anything and the owner of the home does not agree then they will need to get an attorney. At this point they can expect to pay a few thousand dollars to the attorney for help. Then more money as the case proceeds and on and on and on.

So many factors play into this that it is difficult to give you an answer. FYI, chances are that the inspector in question is out of business. We have gone from 1100+ inspectors in 2009 down to less than 400 in the state now.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 04-30-2012 at 06:15 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

The conditions you found four years later may not have existed on the day of inspection. Also, the contracted project work you just performed may not have been the first work project upon the home since your customers took possesion (ex. insulation, roofing, etc.).

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen anything that indicates the condition you discovered existed at the time of inspection. For that matter that the exhaust fans even existed at the time of inspection. Have you reviewed the entire original inspection report (and photos, if present)?.

Curious how much time transpired between the inspection and closing - as circumstances and conditions can and often do change during that time period.

First things first - if a consumer has a concern or question about an inspection and/or the report, the best, first, resource is to contact the inspector and address the question. Wouldn't be unusual for there to have been dozens of additional images collected during an inspection which are not included in the report. The inspector may have not missed anything - and may have documented or proof the condition you described did or did not exist at the time of inspection, was or was not addressed in the report, or that the area was not in plain view or obstructed (storage, etc.) during the inspection.

This of course assumes the clients had a professional home inspection, and not a VA, HUD/FHA, etc. "appraisal" property eligible report "inspection".

Bathroom exhaust fans and similar ventillation devices are connected to exhaust ducts not vents.

Food for thought.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 04-30-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Iascone View Post
    Nick
    Nick, I assumed by the wording that you meant vent stacks on the sewer, not exhaust fan vents but I see others took it to mean exhaust fans. Which is it?
    Plumbing is cut and dry but many areas (mine included) did not required exhaust fans to vent outside until HI started calling it out. Now it is rare to see a new construction that is not vented in some way to the exterior. Either way, It is still an issue, just curious as to the nature of the issue, plumbing or ventilation?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

In my area (Knoxville, TN) the AHJ didn't require bath vents to exhaust to the outside until just a few years ago. Up until then, they were happy with the vent coming up above the insulation a foot or so.
    You may want to check the AHJ in your area and see what they have to say about what they required 12 years ago.

Linda Swearingen Guest

Regarding the length of time to complain, when we did our HI licensing the lawyers told us that we could incorporate a time in our individual contracts. When people enter into those contracts, they are bound by what is in them. (Most of the HI's I know use 1 year.)