Joe Skroko Guest

Default Chicago Roof Access

I have a 3 story 7 unit building on the northside of Chicago and I just had new decks built. I used to have stairs leading to the roof for easy access to repairs. Can I add stairs to the new deck for Landlord/Manager access only? There will be absolutely no access to tenants or children with a locked door being present. What are the codes? Can this be done because when I need to re flash a parafit wall or fix a leak in the sky light, a ladder is a pain.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Chicago Roof Access

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Skroko View Post
    I have a 3 story 7 unit building on the northside of Chicago and I just had new decks built. I used to have stairs leading to the roof for easy access to repairs. Can I add stairs to the new deck for Landlord/Manager access only? There will be absolutely no access to tenants or children with a locked door being present. What are the codes? Can this be done because when I need to re flash a parafit wall or fix a leak in the sky light, a ladder is a pain.
    Hi Joe
    You need to file for a permit.

Default Re: Chicago Roof Access

It would have been easier if you had done these stairs as part of the porch build. I'm assuming the stairs will come up off the 3rd floor deck to the roof. Technically, you do need a permit for this. What some people do is get a porch permit and build the stairs as part of the porch. Depending on conditions a city inspector may or may not notice.
    Since this building is most likely an annual a city inspector may either notice or wonder about it in coming years. Hopefully for you he'll assume it was part of the porch build. This is all assuming you built a new treated lumber rear wood porch per Code, permit and city plan or Arch plan.
    Unless you are absolutely going to build a full wall and door around this staircase I would advise against it. Any type of accessible stairs could be a temptation for tenants on a nice night when you aren't around.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"