Default Oil fired boiler in garage

Are there any issues or special requirements for an oil fired boiler located in a garage?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Default Re: Oil fired boiler in garage

I notice two things: First, it's not elevated. I would think it should be at least 18" off the floor, like water heaters installed in garages, so there is no chance of gasoline fumes being ignited by the furnace burner. Second, there are no protective bollards around it, and I sure wouldn't want a furnace to get bumped by a poorly parked vehicle.
    --Welmoed

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    I notice two things: First, it's not elevated. I would think it should be at least 18" off the floor, like water heaters installed in garages, so there is no chance of gasoline fumes being ignited by the furnace burner. Second, there are no protective bollards around it, and I sure wouldn't want a furnace to get bumped by a poorly parked vehicle.
    --Welmoed
    It appears to me to that there are 3 different levels or steps up from the garage floor to the boiler height. Hard to tell for sure from the photo, if the elevation changes are present they should be close to 18" and they should also serve as protection from vehicles.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

.........I don't think those are steps--take a look at the 5-gallon pail. It appears that the 6X6 might be the safety bumper that was being looked for........Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    First, it's not elevated. I would think it should be at least 18" off the floor, ...
    The ignition source must be 18" above the floor, how high is the ignition source? (The flame, spark, ignitor, etc.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    .........I don't think those are steps--take a look at the 5-gallon pail. It appears that the 6X6 might be the safety bumper that was being looked for........Greg
    You probably are right, I am having a hard time telling if that is an elevation change or if it is just a 6x6. Maybe the OP will enlighten us...

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

The boiler is sitting on 8 inch concrete blocks which are resting on the floor of the garage. Therefore the ignition source is 8" + the height of the burner above the base of the boiler. (probably not 18" total)

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    The boiler is sitting on 8 inch concrete blocks which are resting on the floor of the garage. Therefore the ignition source is 8" + the height of the burner above the base of the boiler. (probably not 18" total)
    But it "might be" at 18" ... did you measure the lowest component which could be an ignition source?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I look at it from an energy efficiency standpoint. You have a storage tank of hot water in a cold location. None of the pipes connected are insulated.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    Are there any issues or special requirements for an oil fired boiler located in a garage?
    Other than it simply doesn't belong there?

2011 NFPA 31:

4.3.5 Oil-burning appliances shall not be installed or located in areas where combustible dusts or flamable liquids, gases, or vapors are normally present.

There are a fuster cluck (CF ) of collateral* issues pictured, even if the location were acceptable.

NFPA 31: Standard for the Installation of Oil-Burning Equipment

Curious as to the location of the storage tank.

*(collateral: coinciding in tendency or effect, concomitant or accompanying).

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Other than it simply doesn't belong there?

2011 NFPA 31:

[SIZE=2]4.3.5 Oil-burning appliances shall not be installed or located in areas where combustible dusts or flamable liquids, gases, or vapors are normally present.

That could be taken as, it could mean, ... above 18" above the garage floor as that is the height for which it has been determined that the fuel/air mixture of gasoline vapors in the garage are not of a dangerous mixture ratio. Thus the space above that would not be a prohibited space - based on that working.

If they did not want them in a garage, they would have said so.

Most oil-burning appliances are located in basements, and many basements are where all the lawn care equipment is kept, which would put the same gasoline storage potential in the basement as would be in a garage, and quite possibly the basement would be worse as the vapors would rise and the basement is under the house, giving the vapors a larger confined space in which to accumulate.

Just supposing ... after all, that section does not say "do not" install oil-burning appliances in garages.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That could be taken as, it could mean, ... above 18" above the garage floor as that is the height for which it has been determined that the fuel/air mixture of gasoline vapors in the garage are not of a dangerous mixture ratio. Thus the space above that would not be a prohibited space - based on that working.

If they did not want them in a garage, they would have said so.

Most oil-burning appliances are located in basements, and many basements are where all the lawn care equipment is kept, which would put the same gasoline storage potential in the basement as would be in a garage, and quite possibly the basement would be worse as the vapors would rise and the basement is under the house, giving the vapors a larger confined space in which to accumulate.

Just supposing ... after all, that section does not say "do not" install oil-burning appliances in garages.
    Huh???

Hi, ALL &

* More combustion air in that space -due to the fuel being oil, rather than gas...

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Cool Re: Oil fired boiler in garage

What is that white wall to the right of the boiler sheathed with? Drywall? Looks like you have a clearance to combustibles issue off the chimney connector to that wall and possibly the ceiling.

no clean out in chimney

galvanized steel connector in direct contact with masonry chimney--no thimble or ss

chimney does not appear to have a listed liner

Inadequate support of the chimney connector

bullhead tee to barometric damper allowed but not advised or recommended.

Baro. damper should be closer to the appliance

Condensation issue with venting--need combustion analysis to see why

Did you measure for makeup air requirements? What is the input rating of the boiler?

Can't see an isolation valve on the expansion tank.

Cannot make out when blown up but a few other questions you could ask would include:
    -approved shutoff at the appliance?
    -165F rated fused fuel shutoff?
    -water fill have backflow protection with isolation valves?
    -low water cutoff?
    -120vac service outlet within 25ft?
    -switched service light
    -appliance electrical disconnect within sight in same room?
    -emergency disconnect switch at entrance to room labelled?

Any closer pics of boiler near piping?

Keep the fire in the fireplace.