Thread: home insulation

Jean Bleecker Guest

Default home insulation

My husband and I just purchased a house with a mold problem. The house had a large Jacuzzi in it, and this may have had something-or everything-to do with that, but it appears that the paper-backed roll insulation that is in the ceiling, under the crawl space, and in the walls appear to have been wet at some point. It is all dry now. The old insulation has been removed. As a DIY person, I want to replace it myself, but feel unsure of which side of the paper backing goes which way in the three applications mentioned. Is there some "Rule of thumb" regarding the installation so that I don't do it incorrectly? Also, should a vapor barrier be put on the floor over the crawl space before installing a new floor? If so, what kind? Any info greatly appreciated...Jean

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: home insulation

Rule of Thumbs
    Paper to inside
    But
    The insulation manufacturer will have detailed installation instructions available online. Use them..

As for adding the vapor barrier, unless you do some research, might be better to not make any changes. Bad things can happen when it's done wrong.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

The facing always goes toward the warm-in-winter side, and the facing should NEVER be left exposed, the facing should ALWAYS be in contact with gypsum board or other approved material as the facing is a fire hazard as it can burn. If the facing is not in substantial contact with drywall then a fire could rapidly spread across the face of the insulation, with the facing in substantial contact with drywall, the fire is snuffed out.

As Rick said, though, "As for adding the vapor barrier, unless you do some research, might be better to not make any changes. Bad things can happen when it's done wrong."

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Good idea to mention "warm in winter" side! I live in Arizona, had a balcony sliding door replaced with a window. (Just FYI, balcony was removed). The contractor had the paper facing the exterior since he knows it goes to "warm" side. I had to straighten him out on that point! Lol! He tried to argue that since it was over 105 degrees, that the exterior wall is the warm side. To help, I said (heated) side. He got it then.

Good advice guys!
    Be safe.

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

The most important thing is to make sure the source of moisture has been eliminated.
    The paper does go towards the warm in winter side and must touch the air barrier as mentioned. The best thing to do if the house is currently missing insulation is to air seal. This is especially true in the attic. I think blown in insulation in the attic is best because your going to want to insulate to about an R-60 but can get away with an R-48 in your area I believe. I personally would seal the crawlspace with plastic and insulate the foundation walls. This not only keeps the ground moisture at bay but it also allows any heat from ducts to be kept in the envelope and also keeps pipes warm. I would recommend guidance from an Energy Auditor in your area. Someone that is certified by BPI as a Building Envelope Professional can also provide guidance.

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
    Good idea to mention "warm in winter" side!
    I used those words because those words are what the code uses ... does stop the confusion, doesn't it?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Also, use only one vapor barrier, never two and never in two different locations in the wall.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I recommend you check out a couple of insulation companies. It's a nasty job and in my experience, you can get it installed for not much more than you can buy it at the big box, plus there may be a tax credit.

If you want to understand how to properly insulate and the correct use of vapor barriers, then I recommend that you take a look at www.buildingscience.com before you attempt to re-insulate your home.