mathew stouffer Guest

Default Vent clearance to roof

This is for a gas snow melt boiler. The tag was difficult to read but it appeared to be a simpson Dura Vent. Does this require 2 ft of clearance above the roof.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Vent clearance to roof

Duravent does not recommend outside vents in cold climates unless installed in an enclosure. Once that is done I'd just follow their height termination chart.

http://home.comcast.net/~marylandhom...BVentGuide.pdf

Check out Fig. 11, page 8.

"appeared to be a simpson Dura Vent" Simpson "B-Vent"? or Direct Vent? I can't tell from the picture.

Does the "boiler" manual call out clearences for it's venting?

Also it needs a wall strap above that 90, as the leg with the cap could rotate 180 and face the cap down (bad).

My2c

Cool Re: Vent clearance to roof

Cross-check the appliance and vent listed instructions and go with the most restrictive as always.

Yes, that vent needs support both below the elbow to provide support for that horizontal leg and as Stephen pointed out above it. However, if you only have one point of stability, so the vent could wave at you as you drive by and sag. You cannot rely on the listed wall penetration, which is not visible but hopefully they used.

Note that since you are in snow country a case could be made to extend that vent well above the roof and put a 'cowcatcher' snow diverter on the roof immediately uphil from it.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.