Julie McCoy Guest

Default Question regarding CA code for self-closing doors between garage & living space

Hi!
    I'm aware that there needs to be a fire rated door that is self closing between the garage and the house (at least in CA). I have a situation where there is a laundry room between the house and garage. The door from garage to the laundry room self-closes. The door from the laundry room to the house does not. The home inspector says that door needs to self close as well since the laundry room houses the heater and water heater. Why is that? Some homes have the water heater and/or heater in an interior closet and the door to the closet need not be self-closing. Could the inspector be incorrect?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Question regarding CA code for self-closing doors between garage & living space

Quote Originally Posted by Julie McCoy View Post
    Hi!
    I'm aware that there needs to be a fire rated door that is self closing between the garage and the house (at least in CA). I have a situation where there is a laundry room between the house and garage. The door from garage to the laundry room self-closes. The door from the laundry room to the house does not. The home inspector says that door needs to self close as well since the laundry room houses the heater and water heater. Why is that? Some homes have the water heater and/or heater in an interior closet and the door to the closet need not be self-closing. Could the inspector be incorrect?
    Hi Julie,

To the best of my knowledge, the door between the garage and house only needs to be a solid-core door with an automatic closer, not fire-rated. I know of no requirement for a closer on a door between a laundry area and the remainder of the house in existing construction, nor am I aware of a requirement for a solid-core door between the furnace/water heater and the remainder of the house. However, if this is a new home, the current energy codes may require the closer.

I do believe it would be a good idea to keep the appliances separate from the heated/cooled parts of the house, but that would be more for energy efficiency.

The one thing that I would want to make sure of is whether or not there is adequate combustion air for the gas-fired appliances.

I would ask my home inspector for the specific code section to verify his statement.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/