Eric Shuman Guest

Default Interesting collection...

This was a new home. The clients were mad because of the number of scorpions and other little critters coming in through vaious gaps at the exterior and at door weather seal gaps. The wife had taped over the door joints at most doors. They collected the scorpions they found for about 4 weeks of living in the new house and arranged them nicely on an interior door to show the builder. Said they had both been stung while sleeping in their bed, also.

Kind of strange thing to do but cool to look at. There were all sizes in the collection. This is also why I do not stick my fingers anywhere I cannot see when inspecting in my area. Think of a wasp sting amplified about ten times.

Eric

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Interesting collection...

Eric,

Mad would not be the word.

In all my days as a exterminator, I've never seen that many scorpions added up all together.

Thats a serious problem which could be life threatning to some folks. Was there a excess of debris or over grown landscaping near the exterior that these scorpions could be nesting in?

I'd be moving out to the Holiday Inn Express till that house was rid of those.

Eric Shuman Guest

Rick,

Yeah, I've seen a lot of scorpions at inspections but this one took the prize! No brush immediately around the house at all but the developers had cut this developement right out of the woods in the hill country.

Dang near 75 or more scorpions on that door.

Eric

Nature was first and then came the home.

People have to keep that in mind. We build our homes over their domain.

Of course, a really great termite preventative treatment of the soil would have knocked out most of that problem.

Heebie Jeebies!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I'm sure several people who read this board thinking of jumping into the HI biz just changed their minds after seeing those pictures. Definately another hazard of this trade.

Can you imagine how many scorpions is in the attic or in a crawlspace if present?

I'd take on a snake before I would those scorpions.

Rick

David Banks Guest

No scorpions here! I did some concrete form work in Arizona one winter and they taught me to move the forms that were stacked with my hammer before grabbing one and lifting it. Saw a few.

You Boy's sure have some funny LOOKING cock-A-roaches out there.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Billy,

Back away from the pipe, man.

Eric Shuman Guest

On my newer home inspections around the area, where they are cutting neighborhoods out of ranch land, I have had many clients tell me that they make their kids shake out there shoes before putting them on because of the number of scorpions they find in the house. Not uncommon to see every drain in the house closed in an attempt to keep critters out. Don't know that it works what with all the gaps and such I find on the new houses.

Needless to say, I never stick my finger in the hole of the sprinkler valve covers or water meter covers to remove them, screwdrivers feel no pain! Of course, there is also sometimes a nice black widow web stretched across the inside of the water meter hole when you pop the top off. The scorpions freak me out worse even though they are less dangerous.

And yeah, I do tape up the legs and sleeves of my cover-alls when I enter crawl spaces here.

Eric

When I was in Thailand last year I ate one of those critters. Just had to do it. Pretty crunchy, especially the claws but overall not too bad. The grasshoppers were better. Mabey they should open up a snak shop.