Ludlow, Maine - Aroostook County, near Houlton

Default Radon Measurement in Schools

Are any of you doing radon measurements in schools? I would be very interested in reading about your experiences.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Radon Measurement in Schools

When I worked for Los Angeles County, I tested a few schools, back in early 90's. They were tests just like any other test.

Jack, was that before July 1993? I think back then, the EPA's protocol was for doing the tests when schools were closed for the weekend. I've carefully studied EPA's Radon Measurement in Schools Revised Edition. (available on line) It is, BASICALLY, as you say. just like any other test. ... But ... they want us to test while school is in session. It makes sense; that's when the students would be exposed to the radon. It sounds good, but when I think about actually doing it.... Ha Ha! (I did substitute teaching for many years, and I have a good memory of my childhood) ... How does one prevent the devises from being disturbed? I have a mental image of kids trying to play basketball around a a carefully placed radon test. It seems to me that educating students and staff would be a big part of it. Radon in schools has recently been an item in the news, and I'm wondering how the radon testing people are handling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Campbell View Post
    How does one prevent the devises from being disturbed?
    I saw a sneak peak of a course on testing in schools where the radon devices were suspended from the ceiling with string.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Campbell View Post
    Jack, was that before July 1993? I think back then, the EPA's protocol was for doing the tests when schools were closed for the weekend. I've carefully studied EPA's Radon Measurement in Schools Revised Edition. (available on line) It is, BASICALLY, as you say. just like any other test. ... But ... they want us to test while school is in session. It makes sense; that's when the students would be exposed to the radon. It sounds good, but when I think about actually doing it.... Ha Ha! (I did substitute teaching for many years, and I have a good memory of my childhood) ... How does one prevent the devises from being disturbed? I have a mental image of kids trying to play basketball around a a carefully placed radon test. It seems to me that educating students and staff would be a big part of it. Radon in schools has recently been an item in the news, and I'm wondering how the radon testing people are handling it.
    Use Alpha track devices (long term) for the best results in schools. They can be placed in areas that are not as subject to being messed with. No matter what is done it is inevitable that some of the test will disappear, but there is not much that can be done about that.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Might have been before 93, don't remember exactly. We did use hanging devices.

Scott, Hank, and Jack, Thank you for your input. Hanging devices sound like a good idea, and so do alpha tracks. The thing is, the EPA wants short term for the initial tests; then follow-up with long term only when the initial test is between is between 4 and 10 pCi/L. CERTI has a 16 credit course, "Conducting Radon Surveys In Schools And Large Buildings" Maybe I should look into that. Do you have any ideas for "educating" school personal and students?

I have tested a handful of schools. I meet with the principal or school administrator and explain how the tests are conducted and that if the devices are tampered with there will an additional cost to retest. I provide a Staff Notice (to be distributed to the staff - teachers, cleaning crew, maintenance staff, etc.) that explains 'What, Why, Where, When & How' regarding the upcoming radon test. I also like to meet with the maintenance staff so they know what to do and what not to do.

I use E-PERMs for school testing. I put a tamper strip on each electret as well as a zip tie (to prevent anyone from closing the chamber) and a notice ("Radon Test In Progress - Do Not Tamper"). Sure, the kids are curious about the devices but I have never had any major problems. (I think a lot depends on the teachers.)

I deploy my devices at the end of the school day and retrieve them two days later at the end of the school day. I usually start deploying (and retrieving) in offices, break rooms, etc. so I can get started before classes are over.

Hope this helps.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Yes, Bruce; that does help. Thank you.