Stanley Chow Guest

Default Water meter piping

Need to confirm my suspicion. Does this piping arrangement look strange? Looks to me that water meter is not inline and water supply is bypassed. Am I right or wrong? Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Water meter piping

I believe that is a special fitting which directs the water up and out through the outlet to the water meter, then from water meter to an inlet in the same fitting which directs the water out into the pipe at the other end of the fitting.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

If you install it backwards, does the city send you a check?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    If you install it backwards, does the city send you a check?
    Nope , Just No Water.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Stanley Chow Guest

Thanks Jerry. Never seen a fitting like that but it makes sense. But isn't the conventional in-line method easier and cheaper. Why would anyone want to use a special fitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Chow View Post
    Thanks Jerry. Never seen a fitting like that but it makes sense. But isn't the conventional in-line method easier and cheaper. Why would anyone want to use a special fitting?
    Most water meters I see are buried in the ground and are in-line, however, some are tapped off the line, which is then elbowed out with specially bent piping to the meter, and another specially bent piping from the meter and elbowed back into the line of the piping. I suspect that even though that fitting costs more in material costs, that its savings in fitting labor and number of solder joints make it either a break even or maybe even money saving installation.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Stanley Chow Guest

Thanks again Jerry.

Typical water meter install fitting around here in the suburbs. Pretty rare though that I see one in the City. Maybe I'm just dumb but I don't get it either, seems goofy.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Norm Grande Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Most water meters I see are buried in the ground and are in-line, however, some are tapped off the line, which is then elbowed out with specially bent piping to the meter, and another specially bent piping from the meter and elbowed back into the line of the piping. I suspect that even though that fitting costs more in material costs, that its savings in fitting labor and number of solder joints make it either a break even or maybe even money saving installation.
    I had my plumber install one of these, but instead of a water meter there was a straight piece if threaded pipe. He was roughing in for a future water meter, as was required by our building code at the time. He used this fitting as it was supplied by the city, and was also time saving to install and used less room.
    Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Nope , Just No Water.
    Standard meter yoke. Most have inlet/outlet in center of yoke. Looks like this one could be of benefit if service is close to a corner. Makes no difference which side is up -- the flow would still be the same. However, if the water meter is installed backwards, it would still allow flow but the meter would indeed run backward. That's the reason most water utilities install some type of tamper seal like the wire and lead seal shown on this installation.