Default window bars at bathtub

I've never seen this before - non-safety glazing next to the bathtub, with bars.
    Assuming the bars are strong enough, I guess this is ok, eh?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: window bars at bathtub

I would say, Not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hagenlock View Post
    I would say, Not.
    Thanks Mark.
    Would you care to elaborate?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

As you mentioned this is a safety glass area. What's shown in the photo, is in my opinion
    still unsafe. Someone who slips and falls may not go all the way out the window. But could still be swimming with shards.

As you mentioned this is a safety glass area. What's shown in the photo, is in my opinion
    still unsafe. Someone who slips and falls may not go all the way out the window. But could still be swimming with shards.
    I agree with you, but don't think I could support that opinion with code.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I agree with you, but don't think I could support that opinion with code.
    Don't have access to specific code citation at this minute but I believe that the intent here is protection from large shards of glass and not falling out the opening.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alton Darty; 05-17-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added .pdf
    Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post
    Don't have access to specific code citation at this minute but I believe that the intent here is protection from large shards of glass and not falling out the opening.
    Hmmm. Now that I read the 2006 IRC again, it appears that the exception when you have bars may not apply to windows next to tubs.

Try this one.

2003 IRC
    R308.4 Hazardous locations. The following shall be considered specific hazardous locations for the purposes of tempered glazing:

- 5. Glazing in doors and enclosures for hot tubs, whirlpools, saunas, steam rooms, bathtubs and showers. Glazing in any part of a building wall enclosing these compartments where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60 inches (1524 mm) measured vertically above any standing or walking surface.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Try this one.

2003 IRC
    R308.4 Hazardous locations. The following shall be considered specific hazardous locations for the purposes of tempered glazing:

- 5. Glazing in doors and enclosures for hot tubs, whirlpools, saunas, steam rooms, bathtubs and showers. Glazing in any part of a building wall enclosing these compartments where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60 inches (1524 mm) measured vertically above any standing or walking surface.
    Right. Then, further along, it says that there's an exception if a proper bar is installed, which is why I thought it was ok. But now that I look again, that doesn't appear to apply to tubs. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Right. Then, further along, it says that there's an exception if a proper bar is installed, which is why I thought it was ok. But now that I look again, that doesn't appear to apply to tubs. Thanks.
    No problem. I keep the safetyglass.pdf file on my phone, along with a bunch of others, in case there is a question. It has come in handy several times. Also need to credit the source for the file

http://www.arnonebuilding.com/saftyglass.pdf

Several good examples of issues that come up on decks, stairs, railings and the safety glazing are to be found there.

Last edited by Alton Darty; 05-17-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: add link
    Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

John,
    There is a list of exemptions. 1 of them has to do with the photo you presented. There are parameters which need to be met in order to allow the exemption. I don't think you could verify them if you were not the installer. Bar supports 50 # psf. Fasteners are equal to the task. If the fasteners go through the jamb is there solid material through to the framing. I'm new to this. It appears to be an obvious safety concern to me. Are we supposed to only act or give our thoughts on code compliance.
    I do not mean that last question in a smart alec tone.

There are exemptions from having to have safety glass in *some* specific locations, and one of the exemptions is to have a permanent barrier between the glazing and the person, but ... but there are *NO* exemptions regarding that location at tubs and showers.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John,
    There is a list of exemptions. 1 of them has to do with the photo you presented. There are parameters which need to be met in order to allow the exemption. I don't think you could verify them if you were not the installer. Bar supports 50 # psf. Fasteners are equal to the task. If the fasteners go through the jamb is there solid material through to the framing. I'm new to this. It appears to be an obvious safety concern to me. Are we supposed to only act or give our thoughts on code compliance.
    I do not mean that last question in a smart alec tone.
    Looking in 2006 IRC and I can't find an exception to 308.4 item 5, which contains the rule concerning the glazing at tubs and showers. Different version of IRC or am I just missing it? The exception you listed is for 308.4 items 7 and 10. Item 7 actually excludes the tubs & showers from the exception, and item 10 is for stairways ramps and walking surfaces

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Looking in 2006 IRC and I can't find an exception to 308.4 item 5, which contains the rule concerning the glazing at tubs and showers. Different version of IRC or am I just missing it? The exception you listed is for 308.4 items 7 and 10. Item 7 actually excludes the tubs & showers from the exception, and item 10 is for stairways ramps and walking surfaces
    You are correct. I need to read more carefully.

Thanks Mr. Peck

I'm afraid I got a bit of tunnel vision about the compliance bit with the bar and let the location go. Pardon me.