Default Woodstove has sliding door?

Anyone recognize this design? I've never seen this one before.

It is installed as a fireplace insert. Minus some documentation, my clients will have to replace it.

I just realized the window in the door looks a lot like a Pyrex baking dish. It's outa here.

The seller had all his ducks in a row.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Default Re: Woodstove has sliding door?

WOW It does look like a Pyrex dish. The sliding door reminds me of when they build oven for people with disabilities.

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

John, That is a wild one. Its like a wood stove and easy bake oven all in one. Never seen anything like that.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

cuba_pete Guest

"Looks like" or is a Pyrex dish? One can see the stamping on the "dish" but cannot make it out from the picture. should be easy to read when actually in front of the stove. Otherwise, it's well built but has a disconcerting design.

Talking Re: Woodstove has sliding door?

You could almost bake a upside down cake in that.

Quote Originally Posted by cuba_pete View Post
    "Looks like" or is a Pyrex dish? One can see the stamping on the "dish" but cannot make it out from the picture. should be easy to read when actually in front of the stove. Otherwise, it's well built but has a disconcerting design.
    I didn't make the connection at the time, just when I posted the pics here.

My client would have trouble getting, can't get fire insurance with a non-certified woodstove. That has been a given here for 30 years, must have a CSA approval sticker and a WH registration number. The seller has been taking a chance by using this stove. His insurance, if he had any, would be void if there was a fire. Now why would someone pay insurance premiums year after year in that case?

www.allsafehome.ca

Hi John
    Because the unit has legs, it was obviously a wood stove now being used as a hearth mounted insert.
    It was probably homemade. I've seen about half a dozen homemade inserts over the years and the all have
    the same problem; no chimney liner. The installation code, B365 requires a liner to prevent creosote
    from building up behind the unit. The liner needs to extend from the top of the chimney and be securely
    attached to the top of the stove. There are however several other issues.
    It looks like there's carpet in front of the original 16 inch hearth extension. An additional ember protection pad
    will be required out front. The stove looks like it extends about 12 inches from the face of the fireplace.
    The code also requires a hefty 48 inch clearance to combustibles which includes the sides and any
    mantel above. That can usually be rectified by installing shields. The opening to the fireplace
    needs to be sealed and there needs to be a warning label affixed to the inside of the fireplace.
    According to the code, the fireplace itself needs to comply with the current building code which
    "never happens". I don't know what to tell you about the door.
    Other than that, the installation is just dandy. Neither installation code
    or the building code requires the unit to be certified. That is just a fabrication by the insurance companies.
    The installation code was not written for certified units but for uncertified units. I doubt the sellers use of this thing
    would nullify their insurance. They need to keep the chimney clean though.

Thumbs up Re: Woodstove has sliding door?

That defiantly looks like the dish my Wife makes brownies in from time to time.

Actually, I like the forethought of using that dish and designing the stove around the Pyrex baking dish. No special order for a replacement!

Was this installed in the home of a member of the Possum Lodge?
    (If the women don't find ya handsom.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Panting View Post
    Hi John

According to the code, the fireplace itself needs to comply with the current building code which
    "never happens". I don't know what to tell you about the door.
    Other than that, the installation is just dandy. Neither installation code
    or the building code requires the unit to be certified. That is just a fabrication by the insurance companies.
    The installation code was not written for certified units but for uncertified units. I doubt the sellers use of this thing
    would nullify their insurance. They need to keep the chimney clean though.
    Thanks for clarifying that, Steve.
    I take it then that the 'rule' of certification being needed is driven by the insurance companies demanding it, or refusing coverage without it? Well, they seem to have the power to sway things their way, because we hardly ever see a home-built heater anymore.

There's a good chance, with is no metal chimney liner installed and the clearance violations, that homeowner would have been SOL in the event of a fire, would you agree?

Years ago, I thought I could save money by building my own chimney. I built a good chimney, still in use AFAIK, but I had to pay higher insurance premiums because of my owner-built chimney, so I lost $ on that one.

www.allsafehome.ca

Wood stoves sold in Canada bear a CSA, ULC or ITS label confirming the stove meets current Canadian manufacturing standards.

No insurer in his right mind would insure a house with that type installation.

Smile Re: Woodstove has sliding door?

Steve pretty muich covered it. Unlisted woodstove installed as a "hearth stove". No listing or EPA Cert. so it is a pollutter to boot.

Recommend replacement with a certified, listed stove installed by a WETT Certified installer with a listed liner insulated and installed per the listing. Include heat shields or remove combustibles per the listing.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

"I doubt the sellers use of this thing would nullify their insurance."

One insurance example from this site:

"Situations that can affect coverage in the event of a claim...

...-property with homemade solid fuel devices are ineligible for coverage"

And from a Canadian insurance broker:
    "Insurance Companies will not insure homemade or other stoves made that do not have the proper certification labels or certified installation of units and attached pipes"

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Don't know about the National Building Code of Canada, but I would think its the same as the Ont. code below.

The Ontario Building Code states.

9.22.10.2. Installation

(1) The installation of fireplace inserts and hearth mounted stoves vented through the throat of a fireplace shall conform to CAN/CSA-B365, "Installation Code for Solid-Fuel Burning Appliances and Equipment".

(2) Fireplace inserts and hearth mounted stoves vented through the throat of a fireplace described in Sentence
    (1) may be installed in existing fireplaces only if a minimum thickness of 190 mm of solid masonry is provided between the smoke chamber and any existing combustible materials, unless the insert is listed for lesser clearances.

(3) A fireplace insert installed in a masonry fireplace shall have,

(a) a listed metal chimney liner installed from the insert collar to the top of the chimney,
    or
    (b) a direct sealed connection to the chimney flue where such provision is part of an insert conforming to Sentence 9.22.10.1.(1).

(Certified solid-fuel burning appliances must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions and the requirements of CAN/CSA-B365-M.)

This suggests to me that the code states in a round about way what type of wood stove can be installed in an hearth to meet the code.