Default Fungi stains on trusses in attic.

House built in 2004. In the attic there were several trusses with moisture fungi on them. Good ventilation. Concerned why it is there. See pictures.

Jim

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Fungi stains on trusses in attic.

question is the wood damp enough that it is active or is it from trusses sitting out stacked together durring the building of the house. good wet season in the south could have been outside for a while but after being built there is nothing to remove it and not active so would just look like that forever.

Thanks Doug, my thoughts completely. The ones I could get to were dry, not active.

Jim

I agree. It looks like the growth you get between stacked wood. If it is Poria, it has the ability to keep growing in a dark damp environment. If it gets into the wood fibres, it can start drawing moisture from the wood, and you've got "dry rot".
    That looks like it is only on the surface, dormant, but maybe not dead.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

That's an odd one since the OSB looks perfect. Around here the OSB is usually the first to show mold if it's an attic ventilation problem. I agree it's probably dormant and from before construction. I wouldn't promise it, though.

You could surmise till the cows come in but without some history of the home and how it has been lived it you'll only be guessing. Too often I see inspectors only consider the conditions at present. Also, consider that molds/mildew come in thousands of species - each with its own appetite for the munchies. Some may like the trusses and not the OSB.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL