Default The Perils of Tailgating

The one thing that burns me up most about driving is people that tailgate me. On my way home a few minutes ago I happened across this accident a few blocks from my house. The accident had just happened but I did not witness it. The odds finally caught up to five tailgaters.

The only injuries I saw were in the lead car (the one that was not tailgating). A bus stop is located just in front of that lead car so I suspect he stopped for a bus - something the others behind him never anticipated. Thank goodness there wasn't a motorcycle in the pack.

Don't tailgate. Leave one car length per 10 mph between you and the car ahead of you.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

David Banks Guest

Default Re: The Perils of Tailgating

"The one thing that burns me up most about driving is people that tailgate me. "
    I am with you on that one. It always amazes me how close people drive on your bumper. The closer they get the slower I drive. I always stay a good distance away and have not been at fault for any accident for at least 25 years and that was a pile up in downtown Denver.
    Another thing is people driving through the center of town speeding.
    I live in small town with a market and breakfast joint. Two private schools and public school with little kids running from market to pizza joint across the street and people go through like it is super highway. Not their kids I guess.

The damages to that red car ought to buff out quite nicely.

You guys would never make around here in the Dallas area. Our bumper to bumper traffic is around a minimum of 70 mph. Later afternoon it could be higher depending if your on the tollway which speeds are up to 80-90 range.

Yeah its scary, but you try and hit your brakes to make a statement of get off my arse, your going to get seriously hurt.

People around here will shoot your arse for that brake check thing.

I prefer the back roads myself.

Rick

I'm NOT "tailgating", I can see you are having trouble maintaining speed IN THE FAST LANE, I'm just trying to HELP by giving ya a PUSH, dang nab it.

My guess, though, in that photo, is that someone decided *not to* make a run for the yellow at the last second (it's at a traffic signal) ... and everyone behind them *was already* on the gas to make that run ... when the lead car's driver decided to stop instead ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

And there's a ticket waiting for each of those people in the chain collision. My buddy is a cop in Maryland and gets people all the time who are busy looking at an accident while driving that they don't pay attention and create another accident in the process.

Jerry,

The accident started after the intersection so I don't think the lead car was stopping at a yellow light (a capital crime according to most drivers). I still suspect he was stopping or slowing for a bus at the bus stop.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Bruce,

One thing I noticed missing from your pictures was the homeless. Around here anytime there is an accident they (homeless) will jump into the scene somewhere and claim that they were injured crossing the street.

Cha-ching.

You mean like this incident in Philly?

Pennsylvania AG Announces Arrest Of 10 Of 12 Individuals Charged With Insurance Fraud Relating To A Staged Bus Accident

September 4, 2007 -- PHILADELPHIA - Ten individuals were arrested today on insurance fraud charges for a 2004 bus accident that was allegedly staged so that passengers could cash in on false injury claims.

Attorney General Tom Corbett said that on April 18, 2004 a Wertz bus chartered to carry passengers from Philadelphia to Atlantic City was struck by a car at the intersection of Berkley and Morris Streets in Philadelphia.

According to the affidavit, there were 21 passengers listed on the police report; however, Lancer Insurance Company, Wertz's insurer, received insurance claims for 29 individuals.

"This alleged scheme was an elaborate attempt to scam the Wertz Motor Coach and Lancer Insurance out of thousands of dollars," Corbett said. "These are serious allegations that carry significant fines and jail time."

Corbett said the Wertz bus was scheduled to depart from the pick-up location at 1:30 p.m., but was delayed by Arthur Brown III, the group's leader. At approximately 2:40 p.m., Brown allegedly received a cell phone call and then determined they were ready to leave.

The investigation revealed that approximately five minutes after departing from the pick-up location, the bus was struck in the right middle luggage bay doors by an uninsured vehicle. Files indicate that both vehicles sustained very little damage and were removed under their own power from the scene of the accident.

Corbett said 20 of the 21 passengers on the bus immediately reported injuries and were transported by the Wertz bus to the Medical College of Pennsylvania (MCP). Lancer eventually received claims for all 21 passengers plus eight individuals who were not on the bus at the time of the crash. The reported injuries were all "soft tissue" injuries.

Corbett said the driver of the car also accompanied the bus to the MCP hospital, but when police arrived, he left.

According to the criminal complaint, the owner of the car was a cousin of Defendant 1, a passenger on the bus who sought medical treatment totaling $4,449 for 53 alleged therapy sessions for lower back pain that took place between April and Sept. of 2004.

Corbett said Defendant 1's sister, Defendant 2, her aunt, Defendant 3, and her aunt's husband, Defendant 4, also filed insurance claims even though they were not on the bus at the time of the accident. Defendant 1 allegedly called Defendant 2 to tell her about the accident, and told her she could start therapy and claim she was injured since her name appeared on the bus list.

Corbett said the bus was chartered by Brown for another individual who supplied the money and sold bus tickets with two of his brothers.

The affidavit states that Brown allegedly filed claims for nine chiropractic sessions and pursued litigation against the insurance company. No monetary amount was provided for these sessions.

Lancer received medical bills for each of the 10 defendants arrested today. The total amount billed for the 12 defendants being charged was more than $29,556, with more than $26,022 actually being paid.

All 12 defendants are being charged with two counts of insurance fraud, one count theft by deception, one count criminal attempt to commit theft by deception, and one count criminal conspiracy to commit theft by deception. Each charge is a felony of the third degree, which holds a maximum penalty of seven years imprisonment and a $15,000 fine.

Corbett said the investigation into this alleged criminal activity is still ongoing.

Corbett said the case will be prosecuted in Philadelphia by Senior Deputy Attorney General Eric Schoenberg of the Insurance Fraud Section.

The following is a list of defendants:

-- Defendant 5, 23, of redacted, Philadelphia. Lancer received bills for $5,000 and paid $5,000.

-- Defendant 1, 28, of redacted, Philadelphia. Lancer received bills for $4,449.22 and paid $4,449.22.

-- Defendant 6, 29, of redacted, Philadelphia. Lancer received bills for $4,365.20 and paid $3,461.52.

-- Defendant 2, 26, of redacted, Philadelphia. Lancer received bills for $4,443 and paid $4,443.

-- Defendant 3, 42, of redacted, Philadelphia. Lancer received bills for $820, but did not pay.

-- Defendant 7, 44, of redacted, Philadelphia. Lancer received bills for $280, but did not pay.

-- Defendant 8, 23, of redacted, Philadelphia. Lancer received bills for $2,745.63 and paid $2,745.63.

-- Defendant 9, 26, of redacted, Philadelphia. Lancer received bills for $1,227.04 and paid $1,227.04.

-- Defendant 4, 44, of redacted, Philadelphia. Lancer received bills for $585, but did not pay.

-- Defendant 10, 41, of redacted, Philadelphia. Lancer received bills for $4,696 and paid $4,696.

-- Defendant 11, 32, of redacted, Philadelphia. Lancer received bills for $945.70.

-- Defendant 12, 50, of redacted, Philadelphia. Lancer received claim documentation and treatment notes, but no dollar value was give for treatments.

(A person charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.)
    It amazes me that more people are injured in an inner city bus accident (real or staged) than there were passengers at the time. It's great to live in the US.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

imported_John Smith Guest

I utilize my windshield washer to keep tailgaters at bay. Its amazing that if you push the button or pull the lever a lot of windshield solvent will come out, go over your car, and onto the car behind you.

It works well for me.

Sometimes when I ride my motorcycle, people will do it to me even if you arent tailgating them. You don't know if they are just stupid or trying to be a-holes.
    Not to mention dodging cigarette butts flying out side windows.

David Banks Guest

There is a saying around here that " putting on your blinker is a sign of weakness"

Kevin VanderWarf Guest

"Leave one car length per 10 mph between you and the car ahead of you."

The best way to achieve suitable distance is to start counting 1-1000, 2-1000 when the car ahead passes an object. If you can't reach 2-1000 before you reach that object you are too close.

Back in my younger days, a very helpful judge thought it would be a good idea if I took a defensive driving class. The 1-1000/ 2-1000 rule is one that stuck, I use it all the time.

I've always thought that if people would do somewhat of a safety inspection of their car before they travel and then drive safely, the interstate speed limits could be a little higher.

Eric Shuman Guest

Like David said: "the closer they get the slower I drive"

No need to tap the brakes to scare them, that can be extremely dangerous, especially for anyone behind the a-hole tail gating you. Slowing way down is very effective but as with any no driving a-hole, road rage can result and that can be dangerous too. I did it ot one guy (slowed way down because he was riding my butt) on the upper level of a highway and he came around the side of me and ran me off the road, within inches of me going over the railing.

It took me a couple of years but I finally convinced my wife to quit giving bad drivers the finger. There are many people that could care less if you are a woman and will try to run you off the road or worse.

Eric

One of the reasons I leave my ball and receiver hitch on my truck. It sure does make a mess of just about anything that comes in contact with it.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

imported_John Smith Guest

I thought in Texas there was a circuit between the horn and the middle finger. If the horn blows the middle finger goes up.

What pisses me off is when you leave the gap in front of you and some dumb ass thinks that that is now his space

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bruce m graham III View Post
    What pisses me off is when you leave the gap in front of you and some dumb ass thinks that that is now his space
    And then takes a immediate right!