John Crawford Guest

Default Spider web cracks in shingles

Following a recent hail storm (I live in Tennessee), I had my roof inspected. The inpsector found no hail damage but he said all my shingles had spider web cracks in them. He said this was a known problem and I could get the shingles replaced (15 year old roof) by CertainTeed if I send them a sample of the shingles that have the cracks in them. He said the shingles were no longer being manufactured.

Has anybody heard of this and if so, what do I do?

John

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Spider web cracks in shingles

Quote Originally Posted by John Crawford View Post
    Following a recent hail storm (I live in Tennessee), I had my roof inspected. The inpsector found no hail damage but he said all my shingles had spider web cracks in them. He said this was a known problem and I could get the shingles replaced (15 year old roof) by CertainTeed if I send them a sample of the shingles that have the cracks in them. He said the shingles were no longer being manufactured.

Has anybody heard of this and if so, what do I do?

John
    Photos would be needed to even give you a SWAG.

They are not going to replace a 15 year old roof. If the shingle is defective they will prorate the life of the shingle. For example with a typical 3-tab/20 year shingle and it is now 15 years old they will give you 25% of the shingles replacement cost, this does not include the installation of the shingles. So you would basically get $10+- dollars per bundle of shingles. Chances are that the shingles are just worn out and need to be replaced.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

John.
    Most people never read the warranties on the shingle. As Scott said at best you will get a prorated pricing on the shingle and only the shingle. More than likely you will have to fight for that compensation.

Good luck

John Crawford Guest

Scot and Garry, thanks for the prompt reply. I did not read the warranty on my roof. My builder took care of everything and I trusted him to do the best job. I had noted the "spider webs" on my shingles but would never have considered a manufacturer's defect (I am NOT a builder) had the insurance inspector not mentioned it.

Again, thanks for the information.

John

You may want to get a second opinion on the question of the hail damage.
    Since you had some reason to question hail damage, you might want to obtain a second opinion. Not that you shouldn't trust the insurance company to act in your best interest, but is it at all possible that the inspector is wrong or not seeing the damage for some reason.